4.3 V6 Distributor Removal: Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1994chevycheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am planning on doing the intake manifold gaskets in my 1994 C1500 with the 4.3, but the ONLY part of the procedure that I'm nervous about is removing the distributor and then putting it back in and getting all that right. I really don't want to have to take the truck to someone, but I also don't want to mess the truck up, it runs good. Any top tips you may have on how to just remove and replace the distributor would be most helpful.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Before removing the distributor, put the engine in #1 on TDC. Mark everything, then pull the distributor. When installing, keep in mine that as the distributor sets into place, it will turn, so you have to allow for this. So you wont put it pointing at #1, you will put it about a 1/2 a rotation off. That way, it will be pointing rite at #1 once its stabbed. There are a ton of videos on this on you tube. Watch some and you will see what I am talking about. Also the 4.3L is a 350 or 5.7L just without 2 cylinders ( for the most part) so the procedures are the same. I never pull a valve cover to find #1 TDC. I pull #1 spark plug, have my wife bump spin the starter, after I remove the coil wire so the truck wont start. Them put my thumb over the spark hole as she spins the engine over with the starter. I also watch for the timing marks to line up on the harmonic balancer, and the timing marks on the timing chain cover. There is no mistaking the compression stroke for the exhaust stroke with you thumb over the hole and someone else using the starter to spin the engine over.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to amplify--#1 TDC COMPRESSION, not TDC Exhaust.

You can "fine tune" the distributor by feeling for the magnetic pull of the reluctor and pickup coil. With the damper and timing pointer aligned at "0" degrees (TDC Compression), turn the distributor until the reluctor teeth align with the pickup coil teeth. You can kinda see this with the rotor removed, but you should also be able to feel it.

Don't be surprised if the distributor doesn't seat fully against the intake manifold. The bottom of the distributor engages the oil pump drive shaft, and they often don't align perfectly. If the distributor is "stuck" a little ways up from the manifold, crank the engine around TWO FULL ROTATIONS to get the timing marks back to TDC-Compression. That should align the oil pump driveshaft, and the distributor will drop the rest of the way down.