4.3 TBI to 350 TBI swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
Also, the donor 350 TBI I have is a GM Goodwrench motor. Will this cause any problems?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is tuning hard? I've never done it.
Go on his website and go to "Information" tab/Introduction to tuning parts 1 & 2.

Also, is finding computers and proms for these trucks hard? Because, if I do find one that is for a 5.7 but automatic trans, should I buy it and just deal with the SES light?
I don't know about your area but, if you do find one, I wouldn't get one for an automatic. When the SES light is on all the time, you won't know when something is really wrong. You'll just think it's the trans again.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Only problem we had with a GM Goodwrench replacement engine (our 79 Burb had a 350 one in it when we got it in '89) was the starter ear on the block breaking off. That had happened before we got it, and someone had welded a stud and ear to locate the starter. But we put a couple hundred thousand miles on it and it didn't use any oil, so it was a pretty good engine.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
Thank you, guys. My buddy that I'm doing it with seems to think that my existing computer will work; he is VERY SURE that it will. I guess we shall see. I will repost to this thread of I have any tuning questions ( I probably will). If it doesn't work I'm going to probably use the flash 2 system (send out my existing computer, have them put their chip in, and I'll do the programming and HOPEFULLY get it running. As I said I may need some help with this. As long as you guys are willing :)).

FrankieD61

Reaction score
Is there any other tips or tricks that I should know of before I jump into this?

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not believe the computer donor would need to have the same rear axle gear. Your VSSB should take care of that.

Did they mention you will need to change the chassis side motor mounts?

FrankieD61

Reaction score
I do not believe the computer donor would need to have the same rear axle gear. Your VSSB should take care of that.

Did they mention you will need to change the chassis side motor mounts?

Yes, I grabbed the motor mounts from a diner truck with a 350. What about the throttle body, can I use the one from the 4.3?

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At minimum, you'll need to install the 5.7L injectors. I think the air passages are the same size, but not absolutely certain.
I dont know if the 4.3 uses the same fuel pressure spring either.

I dont know exactly what you mean by a diner truck but if its not a GMT 400 they may not set the proper location forwards and back to let the tranny line up correctly. Also new mounts from Rock Auto are under $10.

Last edited: