4.000x3.750 with 5.7" rods=376ci ? 6.2L Vortec?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lonestarstunner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up guys, I was curious if you put a 383 stroker crank with 3.750 stroke, with the standard bore of 4.000, with the standard 5.7" rods does that make a 376? Secondly, is that even possible to do in a stock bore block? Reason I ask is that I put a 355 in my truck last month and it trashed every bearings in the block. I built the motor 10 years ago and let it sit, never installed or running. But apparently you can't let a good motor go to waste.... So I now how two bad motors that will have to be built. One of them is a standard bore block that just needed a rod bearing, the other is .30 over and has damage to the cylinder walls so it will need to be bored another .10 over. I'm broke, me and my wife are down to one car, and I'm wanting to know if I just bead the cylinders on the stock block, freshen up the pistons, put new rings and bearings, and put the 3.750 stroke crank in the bottom end will it work properly. I don't have the financial support to have the blocks or cranks machined, so this is my delimma. I am aware that almost all guys on here run either the 355 or 383 or what have you. I just can't afford to pay for machining. I can get the stroker crank for the same price as the stock stroke crank so there is where my concerns arise. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are strapped for cash, avoid the stroker crank unless you are able to tune the truck. Tuning will be an extra cost.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
even if you get a deal on a crank you still need to get the assembly balanced and what will you. as the motto goes if your that hurt for money then you dont need perforormance as much as you want it, it can wait. go to the junkyard and buy a cheap 350 that is good and put it in, no stroker crank or boring or any of that. as axis said theres alot more to building a 383 than just a crank, tuning, heads, cam, exhuast, intake etc etc. yes a stock bore with a 400s stroke is a 377. yes you can use 5.7 rods but the pistons have to have the correct clearance for those rods. youll have the get the block notched ofr a 383 as well.

Lonestarstunner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very very true, with all the commotion going on I forgot to take into account all the other stuff that goes with it. I must've had my blinders on only thinking mechanically. Thanks for the advice guys, and the eye opening.

Lonestarstunner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok well I still have to buy a crank, so I'm going to order a 3.480 stroke crank for the 1-piece rear main seal, as far as Summit goes do y'all know if the internally balanced cranks are balanced the same as stock?