3rd door opening problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97 z71

Reaction score
my 3rd door, you gotta push it a tiny bit, and pull the handle all the way back to finally get it to release to open the door, i know that the spring on the handle is either broken or fell off cause the handle wont catch until the very last lenth it has to open....... the bottom teeth that hold the door shut are stuck open and wont close, so when you shut the door it wobbles on the bottom, so ik those are stuck, do i have to drill out the rivets on the door handle to get to it? and do i have to replace the entire mechanism?

or can i just take the interrior trim off and can i replace it from there? frusterated :nono:

Macrain13

Reaction score
My 3rd door does the same in terms of pushing in a tad before pulling the handle. I can't figure it out either. I replaced the door because the other had a big dent in it. I was able to find same color and trip at the junk yard. When replacing, the new door was very hard to open. I had to shim a little on the hinge pins to lift the door. I just used a very small flat washer to lift the door a little. It seems to be closing at the right height and seals closed. That helped but I still have to push the door a little while pulling on the handle to open it. It doesn't bother me that much, but is annoying explaining to other people when they try to open.

97 z71

Reaction score
yeah it ****** me off, and idk what it is that it is, i hope i dont have to replace that entire mechanism