383 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll need to use the crank reluctor and timing cover from a Vortec engine so that you have a crank position sensor for the ECM. I don't know if you have to have the crank machined to fit it on a 2 piece rear main crank or not.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
i was gonna use a 96-98 block but the kits were more and the blocks the same except older ones had two piece rear main seals

Actually the older blocks also have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump like mine. :)

Feast your eyes on my Vortec head carbureted 383 stroker. Isn't this a thing of beauty? LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
beauty caked in mud. 383 strokers are easy, theres a guy running a 383 vortec, lt4 hotcam and ls1 tb on his solid axled truck, if someone can help me find that build it may be good reference.

if i may call you out on one thing though....trying to build an engine to be cheap is a bad recipe but i get what you were trying to say. just remember with building an engine comes machine work and youll pay for that too. now im not a huge fan of crate engines but a zz383 will cost you right about what youll end up spending if not more but it comes with a warranty if that tickles your fancy. otherwise heres my pointers on 383's ive built two of them.

first of if you use 5.7 rods youll pretty much want aftermarket ones as stock powdered rods will come in contact with the cam unless its a small base circle cam. another option would be using a 6.0 rod which im unsure if it will contact the cam or not as i used a sbc cam on that engine. if you get your machine work done tell them what your doing theyll clearance your block for you while they are at it.

im not sure on vortecs a whiole deal but yes youll need your reluctor wheels and all that, i dont know if youll need more air such as a marine intake or what, i know ls1 tb's have been swapped and specially tuned, 411 swaps are common. either way youll also probably need a tune as well. a nice port and polish job on a good set of vortec heads may be beneficial as well.

one of the most overlooked things people seem to forget on the forums that when you build an engine you affect your entire truck. meaning you may need to do some work to your trans/rear/ end and anything in between. basically one thing ive learned is take your budget and tiple it, if your not comfortable with that then dont attempt it. for example i spent 2600 on my 383 which is rather cheap for the parts i made and the power i made with them, but, i did alot of shopping around...months worth in fact. trading some parts for others making friends along the way thatd help you out with machine work, offering parts to you and so forth which i was grateful for but that doesnt always happen. just words for thought.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
Actually you don't need a small base circle cam for the 5.7" rods. Just the 6" I'm running the Eagle kit with the reinforced 5.7" rods.

All I had to do was clearance the block and that was 35.00.

My total Bill was close to 4000. But I didn't skimp on anything. High flow water pump and thermostat, new air gap intake, tons of machine work, Z28 valve springs, yada yada

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Poseidon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll need to use the crank reluctor and timing cover from a Vortec engine so that you have a crank position sensor for the ECM. I don't know if you have to have the crank machined to fit it on a 2 piece rear main crank or not.
Has anyone done that if so can someone point me in the direction i completely forgot about the reluctor.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done that if so can someone point me in the direction i completely forgot about the reluctor.

Looking at it again, I think it just slides in the crank snout, so you probably won't need any machining.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Poseidon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok if it just slides on ill be fine so anyone have good idea on what injectors i should use to boost fuel. and once i put all this together any chance it will run good enough to drive to the shop to tune? gonna use he 383hte cam or something close

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
what ship will be tuning it? if you want a damn good baseline tune contact out here in michigan otherwise id say no dont do it, because i dont like risking that kinda stuff but i mean chances are youll be ok, should at least as long as your arent missing or knocking or anythign