383 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know not the best approach but I'm really curious if any one has ever used an aftermarket 383 crank and reused all of their parts from a 350? Since technically you don't have to bore the cylinders .30 over could this be done to build a low budget 383? Purchase the crank, hone the bores,new rings and do any clearance work for bolt heads on the block if needed?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
You may be able to re use the rods but I'm pretty sure you'll need new pistons otherwise you'll be slapping the head

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Manimal

Banned
Reaction score
make sure the crank matches the block...1pc seal or 2 pc seal. You can reuse your stock 350 rods, but honestly by the time you rebuild them with quality ARP bolts, you're only a few dollars away from a NEW set of SCAT/EAGLE rods. Clearance the bottom of the cylinder bores. Check rod to cam lobe clearance and assemble just like any other small block chevy.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replacing rods and pistons adds about $325 to your build. Cheap enough that I did it on my 'budget build', but if I didn't need an overbore I'd probably have stuck with stockers. If you're going 383, at least pistons are necessary, and the $225 you save by reusing the rods are eaten up by the $90 for rod bolts and $70 for having the machinist install your pistons. At that point you're only $60 from new floating-pin rods.

Pressed pin rods = paying your machinist to install the pistons - the stock rods are pressed-pin.
Floating pin rods = easy DIY, but pay attention to whether they take spiralocs or wire locks - they SHOULD come with the correct locks.

Old Gasser

Reaction score
I built a 383 (actually mine was 385) in the early 80's, before any of the kits were available for this. My machinist had the internals from a 400sbc that was in a boat, that had frozen and broken the block. We used the stock 400 5.57' rods, the 400 crank, .040 over cast replacement "rebuilder" 350 pistons, and the #441 casting heads that were stock on the 350 in my 1970 pickup. It all worked well. I drove it for @ 70K HARD miles(it was too fun to drive!) and it performed flawlessly. And very well.

Hope that helps.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replacing rods and pistons adds about $325 to your build. Cheap enough that I did it on my 'budget build', but if I didn't need an overbore I'd probably have stuck with stockers. If you're going 383, at least pistons are necessary, and the $225 you save by reusing the rods are eaten up by the $90 for rod bolts and $70 for having the machinist install your pistons. At that point you're only $60 from new floating-pin rods.

Pressed pin rods = paying your machinist to install the pistons - the stock rods are pressed-pin.
Floating pin rods = easy DIY, but pay attention to whether they take spiralocs or wire locks - they SHOULD come with the correct locks.
What about balancing? Say I go with new crank rods and pistons, then I'd have to pay machinist to balance everything or is balancing really not required?

Manimal

Banned
Reaction score
I have balanced EVERY engine I have built. Stock to performance. I also use a torque plate for honing for every engine I build.

Manimal

Banned
Reaction score
Also, if you buy a new crank, get a Scat. Every Eagle crank I have had needed work, I just send them to get .010/.010 turn right out of the box, so I quit buying them. Scat have been great right out of box.