350 tbi to 6.5 detroit swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4bt was by far the most logical of the ideas you've had. Mileage and reliability will far exceed that of the 6.5. May be a bit more invasive though. Any diesel you'll also need a new form of brake booster, and motor mounts, and stall, and unknown number of electronic alterations, possibly radiator. Crate motor starts to sound really easy, hard to argue with the logic of a diesel engine though.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you ever go through with this swap?

A mech pump 6.5L backed by a NV4500 requires nothing but a 12V wire to the FSO to run, so from there its just how "clean" you want the swap to be.

I can get 21 mpg out of a 4.10 geared 6.5L, I imagine mid to upper 20s could be had with 3.42s.

IMO if your main goal is mpgs, the electronic 6.5L can get better mpgs, so you could swap the entire harness from a 95 and make it work that way. not easy or simple, but it would be clean. :)

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
i figure he decided not to pursue the question here since no one answered his question.
this is a great place for our trucks but not when you mention 6.5.
i have 2 and would not encourage a swap but would not discourage ownership.
i have my 'opinions' but i will keep them to myself.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
i figure he decided not to pursue the question here since no one answered his question.
this is a great place for our trucks but not when you mention 6.5.
i have 2 and would not encourage a swap but would not discourage ownership.
i have my 'opinions' but i will keep them to myself.

That's about the best way to put it. They made ton's of these trucks that already have 6.5's, just go buy one of them.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Don't see where that sticker says short bed but I have seen 3.

It's from a shortbed lol.

My point being, if they make, anything in the world, the way you really want it, it's ALWAYS easier, simpler, and more reliable, to just go buy it that way.

V6 to V8 swaps, 2wd to 4x4, auto to manual, all needlessly complicated. Which I imagine is what the OP actually found out. It's hard, it's expensive, you basically need a completely different truck, at which point, you may as well buy a different truck.