350 TBI electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Ok, maybe I should put this in the electrical section? As it seems to be an electrical problem.

1991 GMC K2500 plow truck, 350 TBI, 4L80 (I think) trans. Not my truck.
Truck has had some electrical glitches, none of the gauges seem to work and the lights work when they feel like it. Today, started it up (trying to fix another unrelated issue with the plow hydraulics), always started hard when cold but after she warmed up was running well. Had it going for maybe 20 minutes, and all of a sudden it quit. Just like you shut the key off. Went to whirl it over to start it again, it will whirl all day and not a kick.

First off, the fuel pump isn't running. Unless it's completely dead, I can't figure out why. Can't hear it running, I have not checked the fuel pressure but the injectors aren't putting out anything. The fuses/breakers all seem to be good, replaced and tested the ground wire and still nothing. It could be dead, but it seems like an awful coincidence that this happened at the same time:

No fire. Nothing at all from the coil. ECM fuse is good, yanked the fuse panel, all the wires are still connected at the back. Headlights etc work, whirls over fine like I said earlier.

Is this something really stupid that I'm overlooking? I suppose it could be just a coil (or cap, rotor, wires) and fuel pump, but why would they both quit like that out of the blue? Is this just a bizarre coincidence? Running fine, and then it just stopped.
Will a vortec coil work on a tbi? I've got a couple of those for spare, but no TBI stuff.
Thanks for any help guys, I screwed with the ****** thing half the day and got nowhere. Really pissing me off.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Check all your major grounds and clean the hell out of them. Block to frame, body to frame, all the little ones on the intake manifold, etc.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Should have mentioned I already tried that. Still don't know what's going on, what an annoying truck.
Thanks

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Check to see if the ECM temperature sensor came unplugged. I know on mine (95 tbi) that if its unplugged nothing will work, it'll crank but won't send fuel. Plug it back in and runs fine. Who knows its worth a look

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
So I drove down in the field where the truck sat last night, hit the key and it started right up. Shut it off, tried to start it again, nothing. Nada. No fire. I said some choice cuss words, believe me.

I'm going to track down a parts truck and try an ECM/Coil an check the wiring better. I'm putting money on that fixing the problem. Will update.

Thanks for the advice

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Double checked every ground, replaced coil, still nothing. Can't get the frigging distributor cap off, rusted on. Great.
I am about ready to burn this truck, and it's not even mine.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
You could check for stored codes that could have warned of a preexisting problem.