305 to 350 Swap 96 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if you replace poppets with electric injectors, you have to change the computer tune?
For them to work the way they should it would be advisable. The flow rate is different as are the injector dead times and voltage compensations. I correct the data on every one I tune that has the upgrade spider. Data was easy to grab out of the newer 4.3L engines or 5.7L Mexican trucks that ran the newer style upgrade injectors from the factory. GM has data for those injectors in a returnless system as well at a constant 58 psi.

Jimbo2312

Reaction score
Hey L31, the shop I was planning to use for my computer is called Black Bear Performance here in Idaho. Do you think they can modify the computer the single cat system, or would they just delete them? I wish I had more specs to give them, the invoice I got for this motor was trash. Thanks in advance man

Jimbo2312

Reaction score
Update, I called them, if you want to do this it has to be registered as an off road vehicle only. I wonder how detrimental this check engine code would be, thankfully I live in a county without emissions..

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For them to work the way they should it would be advisable. The flow rate is different as are the injector dead times and voltage compensations. I correct the data on every one I tune that has the upgrade spider. Data was easy to grab out of the newer 4.3L engines or 5.7L Mexican trucks that ran the newer style upgrade injectors from the factory. GM has data for those injectors in a returnless system as well at a constant 58 psi.
Now you got me wondering about this. Just read the TSB and they make no mention of adjusting pcm tune for MPFI upgrade, can’t imagine dealership ever doing that either. Not doubting you though, as you pointed out, the 5.7L Mexican trucks had updated data. I would think most haven’t done this. How much of a disadvantage in not updating? TIA

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now you got me wondering about this. Just read the TSB and they make no mention of adjusting pcm tune for MPFI upgrade, can’t imagine dealership ever doing that either. Not doubting you though, as you pointed out, the 5.7L Mexican trucks had updated data. I would think most haven’t done this. How much of a disadvantage in not updating? TIA
Fuel trims are off because the fueling is off and the engine does not run as smoothly or start as easily as it could.

GM also offers a plastic body MAF that is not completely correct for our trucks either with the stock tuning.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel trims are off because the fueling is off and the engine does not run as smoothly or start as easily as it could.

GM also offers a plastic body MAF that is not completely correct for our trucks either with the stock tuning.
Do you think that has to do with the Mexican heads being a little different? Or emissions/government regulations?