305 build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireshaker

Reaction score
I've got a 4.3 v6 in my truck now. It is so under powered it isn't funny, not to mention it has a bit of a rod knock when it gets warm. I have a good/high mileage (complete) tbi 305 in my shed at home. It was originally out of a 89 caprice. I planned on throwing a set of rings and bearings in it, a good cam and putting on a small 550cfm or 600cfm carb. This would give me more power (enough to tow a trailer) for a very cheap price.

My question is what are your suggestions for getting the most torque I can out of this motor. Also do you think the V6 5 speed would hold up. I mean I'm not going racing or doing burn outs. I have a mustang for that.

This is the cam I was thinking about using, good for 1,000-5,200
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-12-235-2

This is the Intake I found.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2701

I haven't found a carb yet, nor really looked for one. I'm not sure what brand to go for, what do some of you guys use?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
305 is quite underpowered as well. are you rebuilding the motor? why not go 350 and upgrade well everything while its apart. 305 and towing isnt gonna be the greatest,friendliest combination.

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled a 305 out of an 84 caprice and it had iroc heads.

Anyways, a q-jet is great when its working perfect. but an edelbrock is great too and easy to take apart to change rods and jets and the like.

If you want fuel mileage, I think a q-jet is the way to go. Because of the small primaries and large secondaries, you get mpgs when you want it, or open the four barrels and get power when you want it.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
q jets are picky though. if we are talking fuel mileage still a 350 would be a better bet as its taking less effort to make a heavy truck move plus whatever load your hauling. its a tbi 305 so low compression, poor flowing heads, poor intake etc.

Fireshaker

Reaction score
I know a 350 would be better in every aspect. How ever I have a perfectly good 305 block setting in my shed so why go out and buy a 350? I'm not looking to pull a semi load just a small car trailer. I will be rebuilding it my self, yes.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
even a car trailer a 350 would be better with mpgs, and tow it alot easier. since your rebuilding the whole thing get a cheap tbi 350 and wiring harness etc for few hundred bucks. hell i can get one with harness and computer for 175 that needs head gaskets as the heads were taken off. if your already gonna put money into a 305 youll put close to the same into a 350. just because you have it doesnt mean its the best choice. been there done that. My 85 had a 305 built farther than i would even like to think of because the waste of money it was. my friend with less into his 350 would beat the snot out of my car everytime and he was overgeared.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
"It is so underpowered it isn't funny" you'll be saying that again soon enough with the 5.0, don't know how big your truck is, but it doesn't do any justice to my ECSB. Even with a 5-speed.. now, mine's seen better days that's for sure, but still.. For the same price or cheaper you can get a 350 into there and be much more satisfied

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
i have built a 305 and wouldn't do it again...350 is the better way to invest

Fireshaker

Reaction score
Ok so I took the advice you all have given me. I started looking for a 350 block. I found a short block for $125 which isn't bad I don't think. My next question is what do you all think about using 305 heads on a 350. I know it ups the compression, but how much, I think I herd somewhere it only bumps it up to like 10:1?

Suggestion for a cam. I love the lope but I want this truck to be rather quiet (daily driver) and to have more torque than I'll use pulling a trailer.