2WD --> 4WD SAS --> 2WD SAS...Axis' Truck Saga

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck started life as a simple 1995 Chevy ECSB with a 305 V8, 4L60E, and 10 bolt rear. I then got bit by the mod bug.

Here is the truck with Fabtech 4" Spindles, 2" coils, add-a-leaf/block in the rear, 4.10s, and Auburn Posi on 285s...

You must be registered for see images attach

I then discovered that with this same lift, I could fit 35s. Instead of simply throwing the 35s on the truck, I decided to do some other upgrades as well. I secured a 6 lug 14SF from a Z71 (68" wide), geared it to 4.56, and installed it along with a u-bolt flip and springs from a 2500HD.

In order to have matching bolt patterns front and rear, I purchased rotors for a light duty 6 lug C2500. They bolted right up. Here was the finished product.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck went for roughly 2 years in this form. I then got restless, and the urge to mod came back. I decided to do a 1 Ton SAS using a GM D60, Divorced NP205, and a 14FF Rear.

Here is the D60 I put together with the following specifics:

4.56 gears
Lock-Rite
35 Spline Outers
1410 Yoke
Warn Lockouts
Seals-It Outer Tube Seals
Offroad Design X-Over Steering Arm
Solid 1.25" Square Bar Tie rod with 3/4" Heims
14FF Spindle Nut and Locking Key

Here is a shot of the 14FF Spindle Nut and Locking Key. I prefer this set-up as it does not rely on friction like standard D60 nuts. Instead, a locking key and snapring hold everything in place.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the 14FF I built up. This particular axle is a 2nd Gen 14FF with the ribbed housing. This one is found in 88-00 Trucks. For the most part, it utilizes all of the same aftermarket parts as the 73-87 14FF. This axle came out of a 1 ton truck and is 67.5" wide.

It recieved 4.56 gears, detroit locker, 1410 yoke, disk brakes, and dually wheel studs.

Here is a closeup of the dually studs:

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unlike most SAS's I decided on a divorced transfer case because I didn't want to have to mess with the NV4500 I installed earlier. Also, this meant I could use cheaper, single u-joint shafts since I wouldn't have extreme angles. Also, if I ever needed to remove the transmission, I didn't have to juggle a transfer case. Here is the Ford NP205 coming together. So, how am I running a Ford NP205 Tcase with a GM front axle?? As it turns out, the internals are such that you can swap things around. I made my Ford NP205 into a passenger drop case. I did have to make some small internal mods, but it worked very well. While I had everything apart, I went ahead and did the twin-stick mod and installed a 1350 input yoke to match my transmission and 1410 output yokes to match the axles.

Here are some pictures of the finished case with it's mocked up crossmember:

I needed to build the crossmember such that the case had a 5 degree tilt towards the rear to keep my driveshaft u-joint angles reasonable. The angle was spot on.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right on!
I ran a divorsed case in my old 2wd-4wd sas 92, almost built exactly the same as this. I had 2 issues, first one which probably won't apply to you, but I had to re-route the exhaust around the front output. My truck had a super cool dual exhaust system (non-stock) that the prevous owner built.

second was the shifters for the case, I ran a twin stick and ended up simply running PTO cable shifters to move the them further foward on the floor so they wouldn't contact the console.

Good Luck with the build.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The front leafsprings brackets went through a couple of revisions, here is the latest. The front is a simple square tube X-member with a receiver hitch welded to it. It bolts through the bottom of the chassis and through one of the bumper bracket holes.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is on of the shackle brackets. These utilize the multi-position hangers from DIY4X. These can take springs with lengths 52"-56".

Here you can see a drill guide I built so that I could drill straight through my chassis. I used sleeves on the inside of the boxed section to keep from crushing it when I tightened the bolts. I did this so that the entire box section was utilized instead of just the thin inner piece.

Here is the backing plate. I did have to do some clearance grinding, but you get the idea. The brackets attach with 6 half inch bolts, 3 of which go through the boxed section, and the other three thread into the welded nuts. Overall it is a very solid attachment.

Here is the driver side shackle bracket installed.