28 or 30 spline 10bolt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok well i am going to be ordering a lockright locker and new 4.56 gears soon

but the locker has the option for 28 spline or 30 spline and i cant seem to find what one i have in my truck

i have a 97 z71 10 bolt 3.42s with NO g80 factory locker(open diff)

anyone know for sure what one i have before i order my stuff?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking it was around 90 when they swicthed to the 30 splines. Either way from factory your 97 will have the 30. If you think the rearend has been swapped, it wouldn't hurt to pull the cover and double check. If I were to do gears again I wish I had gone with 4.88's but have no complaints on my lock-rite.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if my truck was purely offroad truck i would go with 4.88s, but it still gets driving on the road around town and on the highway

some say that 4.10 would be fine, but i offroad with my truck and would like to do some towing with it to so i went with 4.56,

im tired of only having one wheel spin, and it sucks offroading so that is the cheapest option to fix that

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd still suggest the 4.88's dince you do more off-roading and towing. From what I have seen its only a few hundered RPM difference on the highway. Atleast this is just my opinion. I still run my truck daily and see some highway and would much rather have the 4.88's instead, espeically with the 36's.