2500 to 3500 conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn’t your gearing have to be different in the rear as well?

Also a 454 with 4L80 if you don’t already have it.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You already should have the 14 bolt 10.5" axle if you have the TD. Not sure if you want to convert to DRW (dually?)

But the springs from the trucks vs SUV are different (eyelet spacing different?)

The other difference is probably the frames. I highly doubt the 2500 suburban (GVWR 8600 lbs) would be the same as 3500 (GVWR 9200/10,000 lbs). In fact, it's not.

But it can be done if it's just for looks. Google shows plenty of examples. The whebase is too short on them to look good as a dually is my opinion.

If the rear axle was pushed back and entire rear of the vehicle was extended some 6-12" I think it would look more well proportioned. Look for a 3500 CCSB DRW with a bed shell. That's kinda what it would look like.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was thinking just single rear wheel. I just want to reduce rear end sag when towing. I know I can get air bags, but I was just checking possible alternative options.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much are you towing? What's your pin weight?

On the trucks you can easily "upgrade" to the 3500 DRW leaf springs that have the overloads, as the frames have provisions for that. But on suburban there wasn't such option that I'm aware of.

Aren't your leaf springs like a 6 pack? I thought those were pretty stiff. I think stiffer aftermarket would be the way to go, either 6 or 7 pack if available.

Have you looked into Hellwig? I thought they make a kit that's sorta like overload/add-a-leaf.

ullwn

Reaction score