2003 1500 pickup gauges out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know it is a bit new for this forum but haven't found another good place to ask this question.
A friend has a 2003 chevy 1500 pickup and the gas gauge is the only one working.
Fuses are ok. Any idea where to look or what the cause could be?
Just looking for a place to start troubleshooting.
I'll also try to answer any questions best I can.
Thanks!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gauges on those trucks are a known issue. Stepper motors, plug-ins, solder on the internal connections are a few of the likely culprits.
Replace it. Take a picture of it and post it, I have a few. If one will work you can have it. No idea what the mileage will be though.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, stepper motors on those years have issues. I would try another junkyard cluster to see if that's your problem. If it is, either get yours rebuilt or the junkyard cluster reprogrammed for the mileage.

There's guys that can do this or send it to place that can do it. Probably do the LED light upgrade while you're at it.

Otherwise there may an issue with the body control module...

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The gauges on those trucks are a known issue. Stepper motors, plug-ins, solder on the internal connections are a few of the likely culprits.
Replace it. Take a picture of it and post it, I have a few. If one will work you can have it. No idea what the mileage will be though.
Thank you. I can only get a picture of the front right now but I will.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, stepper motors on those years have issues. I would try another junkyard cluster to see if that's your problem. If it is, either get yours rebuilt or the junkyard cluster reprogrammed for the mileage.

There's guys that can do this or send it to place that can do it. Probably do the LED light upgrade while you're at it.

What might be an issue with teh body control module? I am not familiar with this? Thanks for the info.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I can only get a picture of the front right now but I will.
The front is fine. FYI, these are super easy to take out, the dash bezel pops off with no tools, and the cluster has 4 fasteners, 7mm allen heads I think.
What might be an issue with teh body control module? I am not familiar with this? Thanks for the info.
The BCM controls everything but the power train on the 800s. Stutaeng is saying that if it's not the typical issues with the cluster, it could be the BCM.
But it's probably the cluster.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The front is fine. FYI, these are super easy to take out, the dash bezel pops off with no tools, and the cluster has 4 fasteners, 7mm allen heads I think.

The BCM controls everything but the power train on the 800s. Stutaeng is saying that if it's not the typical issues with the cluster, it could be the BCM.
But it's probably the cluster.
Ahh, I see. So if it is the cluster then the "milage" on the cluster won't really matter or cause an issue?

I did new blue LED's on my 97 Tahoe and taht cluster wasn't too bad to get out.
Actually did blue for the whole interior.

You must be registered for see images attach

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahh, I see. So if it is the cluster then the "milage" on the cluster won't really matter or cause an iss

Thanks, recommendations on the LED upgrade?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll have to look at a wiring diagram, but if I recall some of the guages signals come from the BCM...

I had a local guy reprogrammed a cluster for my 99 and did the LED upgrade, which was a $25 upgrade. I selected the white lights and I liked.

I just did the LED upgrade on my 06 because some lights were burned up. I couldn't find the same guy, so I bought a kit online and DIY. I thought I selected the white option, but they look more blu-ish. You gotta be careful with needle clocking. There's videos on how to do it. I'll post some links and photos later

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll have to look at a wiring diagram, but if I recall some of the guages signals come from the BCM...

I had a local guy reprogrammed a cluster for my 99 and did the LED upgrade, which was a $25 upgrade. I selected the white lights and I liked.

I just did the LED upgrade on my 06 because some lights were burned up. I couldn't find the same guy, so I bought a kit online and DIY. I thought I selected the white option, but they look more blu-ish. You gotta be careful with needle clocking. There's videos on how to do it. I'll post some links and photos later
Thank you.