2001 5.3/4l60e swap into 1996 c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks @Dgonz , I'm gonna have a lot of questions about this swap. I'll post most of them here. For now, I need to concentrate on pulling this 4.3/4l60e out. Any tips on that? I'm trying to get it pulled out in a day and a half. Certain steps I should take?

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks @Dgonz , I'm gonna have a lot of questions about this swap. I'll post most of them here. For now, I need to concentrate on pulling this 4.3/4l60e out. Any tips on that? I'm trying to get it pulled out in a day and a half. Certain steps I should take?
It can be done. Just have a helper when pulling it out. Remove hood, pull engine and trans together. Try to get an old slip yolk end and put behind trans, once you angle it to take it out, trans fluid everywhere, ask me how I know ! Pretty straight forward removal. With the V6 like I had, have to go a step further and remove motor mount V6 brackets, V8s don't have it. Once engine removed, have some one hold a wrench on top of frame and you can go under the frame and have Access in between control arm and frame to remove V6 brackets. No need to remove lower control arms to gain access. Then put regular V8 mounts and ur ready to drop in the 5.3 and 4L60 with the dingo mounts.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds good. just curious, how does your truck perform? Is it more fun to drive, and what mods are done to it? Looking to see if I should do any mods while the 5.3 is on the stand. (Besides gaskets) I want a reliable fun truck to play around with @Dgonz

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds good. just curious, how does your truck perform? Is it more fun to drive, and what mods are done to it? Looking to see if I should do any mods while the 5.3 is on the stand. (Besides gaskets) I want a reliable fun truck to play around with @Dgonz
I can not compare it to the old 4.3. I bought the truck with a bad motor and I never drove it. Mine is stock aside from the PCM tune, no cats, 3" exhaust, cone air filter and Volvo electric fan (moves alot of air). I still got the stock rear end. I don't race or take it to the track. It a good reliable platform that you can mod in the future. I had mine on the stand too. A few good things to replace since it's on the stand, the knock sensors that are under the intake manifold are simple to change, rear main seal if its leaking, and the "O" ring from the oil pick up tube. That last one is a pain to do if the motor is in the truck, while on the stand, a lot easier. Also the 5.3 responds very well with a cam swap, in which I regret not doing. I say say do it ! Like an extra 30 hp or so by simply adding a used corvette cam, but also have to change springs. I know of the guy from "Agearhead4life" YouTube video
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
, that put a BTR cam with stock springs and is happy with it and it sounds bad ass. Leave the truck intake. Its not good looking, but after alot of research I did, the GM engineers did a good job and it flows better than other ones except for the LS6 ones. But once you get into that you have to change accessories and brackets. That's where it's starts getting expensive. As far as the trans, supposably people say the 4L60e can't handle the 5.3. I installed a corvette servo, which was easy when out the truck and makes it shift stiffer, changed the front and rear main seal and installed an oil pan with a drain plug. Also, I haven't done it yet, but I recommend installing a good size trans oil cooler. Let's see, also I used my original R4 a/c compressor (need a/c in FL) and modded the 4.3 bracket to fit. A lot of trial and error to get the belt to fit right, trying different pulleys and to this day it still needs tweaking.

Last edited:

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doing some research, looks like my stock truck pan on the 5.3 would sit real low to the ground. What are some other options i can use? i plan on moving my engine forward 3/4 an inch to get the 2001 4l60e to fit the driveshaft. Also, money is tight right now, and i am wondering how hard it would be to change the pan out in the truck if i were to just run the stock truck oil pan for a while. I do plan on getting a new oil pan but just can't afford a f body pan right now. Thanks guys

@Dgonz

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doing some research, looks like my stock truck pan on the 5.3 would sit real low to the ground. What are some other options i can use? i plan on moving my engine forward 3/4 an inch to get the 2001 4l60e to fit the driveshaft. Also, money is tight right now, and i am wondering how hard it would be to change the pan out in the truck if i were to just run the stock truck oil pan for a while. I do plan on getting a new oil pan but just can't afford a f body pan right now. Thanks guys

@Dgonz
Truck pan will have to be the way to go. Maybe have a custom piece of metal welded in front of it on the cross member so that it protects the truck pan. Easier to change to F body pan or ctsv or whatever else may fit your application now, since motor is not in truck. U will need to also change the oil pick up tube. Keep it simple, use the truck oil pan but becareful driving it. Also, maybe get some thicker sidewall tires to help raise the truck a bit. I got a 2/4 drop on 245 45 20 in front, no issues.

Last edited:

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pulled the motor and trans today. Took about 4 hours with a buddy. Anyways, ill try to get the motor mounts and most of the harness done tomorrow. What wires will i need to keep from the original harness? Also, my neighbors are starting to look at me crazy..o_O @Dgonz
You must be registered for see images attach

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pulled the motor and trans today. Took about 4 hours with a buddy. Anyways, ill try to get the motor mounts and most of the harness done tomorrow. What wires will i need to keep from the original harness? Also, my neighbors are starting to look at me crazy..o_O @Dgonz
Dude it's been a while. I got my information from ls1truck.com. I printed out a bunch of pages and stuck them in a binder and I went by that. I believe it was the white wire from distributor which I used for ignition, hooked up the custom trimmed LS harness that I did to the c1500 fuel pump with one wire to that, one wire to ignition, one to ground and that was it. Triple check all of ur ground wires when u first turn in the LS motor, that's where I had issues. Also if ur LS engine has been sitting for a while with open fuel lines u may get junk in them and have to either clean them out or get new ones from u pull it like did. My truck sounded like I had a cam in it and ran like crap cause of the clogged injectors. Lmk

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Btw, if it's was a V6 4.3, u have to remove the V6 brackets and then put C1500 V8 mounts and then bolt on the dirty dingo mounts to the LS engine.

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a link when I was doing my swap,maybe you can search thru that website and find more of my posts too. Hope it helps...

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-truck-conversions/45764-5-3-swap-4l60e-other-questions.html