2000 5.7L 8 cylinder New Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wesfurgason

Reaction score
This is my 2000 5.7L 2500HD. The current shape is not the greatest. I would love suggestions on what to do to it. Currently has an intake issue, not quite sure what exactly is the problem, but hoping I will not need to put a new engine in her. Worst case scenario is that I need a new engine. I’m considering a duramax swap or just another 5.7. Thoughts? I’m not the most auto-savvy individual and am looking for tips and suggestions.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome! Nice truck. I have a same color truck in CCLB K3500, also a 2000. Just fix what's broken to start.

As far as the engine, it did have issues with intake manifold gaskets and injectors, but once those are taken care of, the engine is very robust and reliable. I'd take it to a mechanic for proper diagnosing or repair. Change your fluids if you haven't already.

If you need to replace the engine, stick with that generation 5.7 or 7.4 for a direct drop-in. Anything else will be rather involved, with Duramax being the most involved and expensive. Big block or LS may be a good compromise though. Look around here, there a lot of very useful how-tos on engine swapping.

GMT-400 crew cabs are not as common. Unlike today, back in the day folks that bought crew cabs actually used them as trucks, so most are well worn/neglected by now. I still see them on the road being used by construction and lawn care guys, usually towing a loaded big 'ol trailer.

wesfurgason

Reaction score
Welcome! Nice truck. I have a same color truck in CCLB K3500, also a 2000. Just fix what's broken to start.

As far as the engine, it did have issues with intake manifold gaskets and injectors, but once those are taken care of, the engine is very robust and reliable. I'd take it to a mechanic for proper diagnosing or repair. Change your fluids if you haven't already.

If you need to replace the engine, stick with that generation 5.7 or 7.4 for a direct drop-in. Anything else will be rather involved, with Duramax being the most involved and expensive. Big block or LS may be a good compromise though. Look around here, there a lot of very useful how-tos on engine swapping.

GMT-400 crew cabs are not as common. Unlike today, back in the day folks that bought crew cabs actually used them as trucks, so most are well worn/neglected by now. I still see them on the road being used by construction and lawn care guys, usually towing a loaded big 'ol trailer.
Thank you for the insight. Right now, my mechanic is checking the intake gaskets in hopes that it’s all that really need changed. If that’s it, then I intend to put a supercharger on it. I plan on taking the running strips off of the side and getting the one rust spot fixed and repainting the entire truck, but keeping it red. Possibly putting a 3-4 inch lift on it. Aside from the cosmetics, I believe once the intake issue is solved, the performance will be pretty good. Do you have any insight or recommendations as to putting a supercharger on it or something similar?