2 things that annoy the crap out of me with our trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
We could probably add a switch to turn on the washer whenever we want regardless of what the wipers are doing. I haven't explored whether we can modify the module to do what we want.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I occasionally get some wiper hop, but its doesn't bug me too much. What does bug me often is that the wipers only have two speeds: FAST and WAY TOO FAST.

If u get new wipers n it still hops u probably have worn out springs and should replace them on the wiper arms possibly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If u get new wipers n it still hops u probably have worn out springs and should replace them on the wiper arms possibly

This ^^^ And do not use aftermarket arms, the drive end wears out in a year or so and then they flop around causing the blade to bounce on the glass. Also the only wipers I've used that don't skip on the passenger side are Bosch Icon and Motorcraft (dealer put those and they were fantastic actually).

The glass must be clean or they will streak and skip, most glass cleaner makes it worse leaving a tacky surface that anything and everything will stick to including the wiper blade. I use an orange based cleaner (Citrol) and then wash it with a wash/wax car soap. I also use Rain-X in the washer fluid form and that is good.

Last edited:

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hell ya I love rain x. Especially when someone cuts in front of me and throws mistys(spray) on my windshield from their tires

Can still see nice n clear when a semi truck is in front of me
Woopwoop pure rain-x in my windshield wiper fluid :D

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed that Rain-X brand bug juice is good; I don't even use regular Rain-X anymore. Stripping the glass every once in a while is smart. Someone mentioned using a clay bar, you could also scrub it down with Bon-Ami cleanser, just don't use an abrasive sponge or Scotchbrite.

If y'all are having problems with the windshield not being wet enough for all 4 strokes of the wipers after using the washer, you're either not holding the washer long enough or your pump is weak.

Richard

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I figured out the answer to both of my gripes. The wiper issue was crappy wipers and messy glass. I used glass cleaner and super fine steel wool and the glass was smooth and very clear after. I got the rain-x wipers and they work great!

As for the pedal/shift issue... That was me being dumb. All of my past vehicles have had high pedals so essentially I was always pushing on the base of the pedal with my toes. Well our trucks have a pedal that hits the carpet unless you are tilting the base of the pedal up by pushing on the top past the pivot point. I just tilted the pedal all the way up on the top and zip tied the pedal to the arm so that there is no flaccid pedal any longer. Now I can push the pedal like I am used to without that strange feeling

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Since bad wipers are annoying this might help.
Claybar the windshield and the rest of the glass. I bet you will be shocked by how much dirt you find in the clay. Doing this helps the blade make perfect lush contact with the glass for a better wipe.
I personally use this glass sealant I got a long long time ago I think its called rain-x but a quarter size drop does the entire windshield and lasts about a month.

This.
All. Day. Long.
I clay bar all of my windows and then keep them clean with a big bottle of rubbing alcohol with a spray nozzle. It's amazing the amount of crud a clay bar job will take off. It'll go from feeling like paper to actually feeling like glass again. lol

I also have the Bosch Icon wipers.
Yes, they're expensive... But I don't really do any mudding anymore (that really seemed to take a toll on my wipers!) and these things are great. When I lived in cold weather and had ice/snow I really liked them. Now that I live in the giant sauna of Texas where it rains a lot they do fine here also.

HankHill_K2500

Sweet sweet propane
Reaction score
The thing that annoys me though with the wipers is there are only two wiper speeds. I don't mind switching the switch manually to get more of a pause in the wiping.

Thats just my little boo hoo about these trucks though :p

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The thing that annoys me though with the wipers is there are only two wiper speeds. I don't mind switching the switch manually to get more of a pause in the wiping.

Thats just my little boo hoo about these trucks though :p

"These trucks" - the majority of these trucks came with delay wipers. Sorry you got hosed with the old timey wiper motor. :)

Richard