1st vs 2nd design IFS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just dropped the front diff out of my 1997 1500 Suburban
The axle bearings are wicked gritty and need to be replaced
Under a BIG crunch to get my truck back on the road before it snows and/or the house gets foreclosed

What are the year cutoffs for 1st and 2nd design?
I see they use different width bearings

How do you tell exactly which is on your truck?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mid 97 is the cutoff year. I know the axle seals are part of the split, but I also believe that's when they abandoned the thermal actuator.

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mid 97 is the cutoff year. I know the axle seals are part of the split, but I also believe that's when they abandoned the thermal actuator.
I have really come to find out the turmoil of having a truck from the ******* years
Experience and info for 95 down and 98+ are usually solid and available
96 or 97 can be a mix of old, newer and plenty of year specific one off tweaks

I have read the service bulletin about the thermal actuator as well and put it on the back burner for the time being until life stabilizes again for me
My 4wd has not felt sluggish and certainly works great for New England winters when us essential employees cannot stay home just because of a blizzard

Anybody have suggestions for production date data to confirm what I have by VIN?
Is there a casting number or tag of some sort on the diff itself?
Of course I can take measurements myself of bearings once I open her up, but I was hoping to have good parts on route while out in the garage
Trying to make this project more "efficient" time wise because of recent family problems

Thanks,
-Kevco

P.S. Im sorry if so many of my posts sound like I am asking too much and grasping at straws. I just need to have this done right

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using a couple of the VIN decoders posted here, I found that my truck was manufactured June 9th 1997...
Which runs smack in the middle of where they have been saying the cut off is
Dammit this rabbit hole is a DEEP one

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
Using a couple of the VIN decoders posted here, I found that my truck was manufactured June 9th 1997...
Which runs smack in the middle of where they have been saying the cut off is
Dammit this rabbit hole is a DEEP one
When I run into similar issues where there are two possibilities I usually order up both parts and return what I don't need.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just put eyes on what you have, then order parts for either an older truck or newer. The airbags and radio changed then too. What's your steering wheel look like?