1999 k1500 suburban 4x4 gears question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socal k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
According to the original order for my suburban they paid extra or got the option of using the 3.73 gears? My truck has 110k miles on it I had the tranny filter and fluids flushed and inspected at 100k when I bought it and the mechanic said it looks great. But recently sitting in traffic randomly I got a hard shift from 1st to second and the truck struggled shifting the rest of the drive home but since then it’s been just fine. I checked fluid and it looks fine and there was plenty of it.

It also has the factory heavy duty transmission cooler.

No errors codes popped up or check engine light
Anyways I’m pricing out rebuilds from shops as worst case but since I have different gear ratio than stock would this affect the price ? What’s the stock gear ratio. Sorry if my questions sound ignorant I’m new to working on my own vehicles and I’m trying to learn

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
According to the original order for my suburban they paid extra or got the option of using the 3.73 gears? My truck has 110k miles on it I had the tranny filter and fluids flushed and inspected at 100k when I bought it and the mechanic said it looks great. But recently sitting in traffic randomly I got a hard shift from 1st to second and the truck struggled shifting the rest of the drive home but since then it’s been just fine. I checked fluid and it looks fine and there was plenty of it.

It also has the factory heavy duty transmission cooler.

Anyways I’m pricing out rebuilds from shops as worst case but since I have different gear ratio than stock would this affect the price ? What’s the stock gear ratio. Sorry if my questions sound ignorant I’m new to working on my own vehicles and I’m trying to learn
3.73 is your rear end ratio,not gearbox. It's pretty standard-I have 99 Tahoe and also have 3.73. It shouldn't affect the price of tranny rebuild. What's that-4l60?

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah-this one can cause issues. I'm waiting on mine to go lol. There's a ton of videos on you tube on rebuild-Isuggest to view them-it won't feel as scary, when you know what exactly happens to them.
If you google there's also lots of info on symptoms-what goes when you lose certain gears i.e.-that's also good to know.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before you condemn the transmission, If its a hard shift first to second and no CEL, it could be the throttle position sensor. Also check fuel pressure and when was the fuel filter changed ???

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to steal the focus, but...

If I'm reading it correctly, the sticker says "TAILGATE BODY". Does yours have the tailgate and not the barn doors?