1999 7.4l lost oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Across281

Reaction score
Got stuck, redlined 10x or so getting out. Oil pressure dropped to about 20 psi drove home as to about 1 mile from the house psi =0 , held rpm about 1k at stop light etc. Died in my yard. Cranked next morning was fine till about 150* temp, dropped to 6-7 psi cut it off. Changed oil & filter, looks to be glitter in it. With initial start when clutch is pushed in crank bearings? Whirr. Mechanic here says even if I replace oil pump, tube, screen. My engine will only have ~2 weeks worth of life. What is your opinion?

You must be registered for see images attach

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
My opinion is you're gonna be looking at a tear down soon. Probably toasted some bearings.

Sent from my Samsung S20 using Tapatalk

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cut open your oil filter. I hope you saved it. Next step would be hooking up mechanical guage, but looking at all of the glitter in the oil, there's little point, as is replacing oil pump, etc.

Actually, replacing oil pump would be just throwing money away. Sorry man. It happens. Time for a junkyard swap, or you have the money machine shop rebuild or a crate engine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new oil pump doesn't put the glitter back where it belongs.

That engine is coming apart.

MAYBE it doesn't have to be a complete rebuild. You'll need to replace whatever bearings lost their metal that resulted in the glitter in the pan. Rod--main--cam, "who knows" until you inspect 'em.

"I" would want to remove, disassemble, and clean/inspect the lifters ONE AT A TIME. Lifters are tiny oil filters. The oil path into the lifter is relatively large. The path for oil to leave the bottom chamber of the lifter is microscopic. Dreck gets in, can't get out. The bottom of the lifter fills with sludge.

Or just install new lifters.

You'll maybe want a fresh timing chain 'n' gears. Degree the cam.

You'll know more once you remove the engine and start pulling it apart.

Last edited:

Across281

Reaction score
How much do you think it is worth as is? 124k, 7.4l, manual trans, 4x4, headers, short throw shifter, intake, new plugs, wires, cap, Bosh injectors, front tires 2 weeks old

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what it's worth, what matters is what it's worth to you. If you're not willing to get into the motor put a for sale sign in it now. Otherwise buckle up. You're likely in it for a cut crank, bearings, lifters, and the rest of the teardown/cleanup. Once it's littered with glitter it's coming DOWN.

Across281

Reaction score
Supercharged it's for sale then. I will get it posted up this weekend. I was wanting to know what I could get for it-ballpark figure.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Supercharged it's for sale then. I will get it posted up this weekend. I was wanting to know what I could get for it-ballpark figure.

Whatever someone in the area is willing to pay for a truck whose motor needs a teardown to see what the way ahead is. And that probably isn't a whole lot unfortunately. Crap news, but it is what it is.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn, if I was closer I'd gladly come and take it off your hands. I've been looking for a CCSB Dually.