1999 454 Cam, injectors, PCM, efans (help a newbie)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi y'all.

Last summer/fall I bought this 99 CCSB 454 4x4.
You must be registered for see images attach

I put about 3000km on it and then broke the intake manifold trying to remove the stub of the heater hose fitting. So I parked it for a while and yarded out the engine this winter when I had some spare time.

Truck showed no real outward indication (to me, anyway) of needing intake gaskets. It was a good cold starter but took a few extra cranks hot starting. Smelled like coolant a bit but I attributed it to the broken heater hose fitting.

oops

The plan was, and still is, to put in a cam, 0411 PCM, injectors and do an electric fan setup. There is a lot to understand for somebody who hasn't done any engine work before, and some of the material I have read online is a litte dated, so forgive the following questions if they are kind of dumb.

I am leaning towards the comp cams 212/218 (264 grind) http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=579&sb=2
but my friend is pushing me towards the 218-224 (270 grind) http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=580&sb=2 .

Is the 270 grind too aggressive for a daily driven weekend tow rig?
I do not want to get into head work and rocker studs but I understand I should not need to with these cams? They are .510 lift and most people say any higher and you need machining on the head or custom length pushrods?? (remember, not an engine guy).

Will the comp cams work with my existing distributor gear? Do I need to replace the timing set? Is it recommended to replace the timing set and will it work with the vortec's reluctor?
Can I/Should I upgrade my valve springs and can I do so without the head work?

Are the comp cams well suited to fuel injected engines?
Is there an MAF upgrade for these trucks?
Is there a good resource to read about injector sizing/selection?

Thanks for any input, especially worded in somewhat layman's terms!

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I am no professional engine builder, but If it was me, I would change out the distributor gear, you probably should and I would definately put new valve springs in get a new timing set.

the motors out, old parts are exposed why not put new lifters, roller rockers 3 angle valve job on the heads..... if you plan on keeping it, out with the old in with the new!

also agressive cams can call for a higher stall converter and lower gear ratio in the axle(s) to maximize performance...... and you are gonna definately need a tune.

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A tune is a given. I do not really want to get the machining done on the heads from a cost benefit ratio standpoint. I'm not after a fire breathing cammed and convertered up monster. I just want to wake the engine up some and fix the extended warm starting with new injectors and FPR. With that in mind, it isn't exactly clear to me based on my reading whether I can get some upgraded valve springs installed, leaving everything else alone.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Sub'd for more info. I'm leaning towards doing the same thing, but I don't want to get too deep into it either. I've got to replace the intake gasket and maybe the head gaskets in my 99 454 in a few months.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Sub'd.

I'm curious as to why the dizzy gear should be replaced? I'm doing my intake gaskets this weekend so this would be an opportune time.

Putting in a brand spanking new cam. If I put in a new cam, im putting new parts around it, and that would include a new distributor gear.... I believe comp cams also calls for new valve springs for roller cams to be covered under warranty.

your just doing an intake manifold gasket, this is a great time to inspect your distributor gear, if its still looking good, id put it right back in. you got 98k on your truck I think you'll be alright...

Last edited:

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Putting in a brand spanking new cam. If I put in a new cam, im putting new parts around it, and that would include a new distributor gear.... I believe comp cams also calls for new valve springs for roller there roller cams for the cam to be covered under warranty.

your just doing an intake manifold gasket, this is a great time to inspect your distributor gear, if its still looking good, id put it right back in. you got 98k on your truck I think you'll be alright...

Ah, yeah, I forgot he was camming it. Makes sense now, thanks!