1998 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Been a while, so here's another update.

I rear ended another car. Busted my bumper, grill, brush guard, and hood. Honestly probably would've only dented the bumper if it wasn't for the brush guard bending back and crushing the other stuff.

I wanted to get a cowl hood and replace the grill anyways so it wasn't a big deal. Got everything replaced and installed some of the new headlights they got out, dual projector LED lights with light up eyebrows. Honestly they have a better light pattern than anything else on the market.

Planning on getting the truck painted a dark metallic blue sometime next year. Need to get the mismatched body panels on the Tahoe painted as well.

I also "finished" up the interior. Still need to get the overhead console and head rests reupholstered. I have a center console I really like out of a Ford, but it doesn't fit between the seats so need to find something else.

I also swapped the computer back to an 0411, the P59 kept giving me issues (constantly run rich for a cat test and would randomly cut all fuel for not even half a second) and never got the flex fuel to work. Plus the 0411 gives me twice the resolution on a 2 BAR VE table.

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No. Still vacuum. Heard the hydro boost won't work with a Whipple.

Whoever told you that was smoking crack, I have both on my truck. I modified the inlet for flow and also for clearance to the hydrobooster itself. The notch that Whipple puts into the inlet is there to clear the accumulator canister on the hydrobooster itself. I found that I did have contact between the master cylinder stuff and but with the inlet. I think a button head screw or something of the like could solve that problem once and for all. Here you can see it still dings into it occasionally.

I'm thinking I did that climbing a dirt hill in 2wd last year, I was getting some axle hop while climbing and I heard the blower hit the master a couple times. It's plain as day when it does, turns the whole firewall into a giant speaker and all you hear is the sound of the blower turning. Here's a better shot of the patch, I got rid of most of that notch.

But you can see the small notch/dimple below that maintains the clearance to the can.

The blue nipple is for my charcoal canister so it doesn't see boost. Since I modded the inlet, I decided to go after the outlet as well. I'm not sure why this orifice was here to begin with.

But it looked restrictive to me.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So I got to grinding.

The amount of grinding required cannot be understated.

I bet I had 3 or 4 like this all in. I used a Harbor Freight electric grinder and some non-ferrous bits.

Awest623

Reaction score
So I got to grinding.

The amount of grinding required cannot be understated.

I bet I had 3 or 4 like this all in. I used a Harbor Freight electric grinder and some non-ferrous bits.
Gotcha, thanks. I'd need to do a couple things before I consider going with the hydro boost. First I need to replace my motor mounts, got some aftermarket ones from off-road designs. My originals are shot. Was looking at them today and the passenger side is in at least 3 pieces. Looks like a pretty easy job, just gotta find a good weekend to do it. Also need to make up a custom AC bracket. Have my Whipple and AC pump stacked up with spacers to clearance my new valve covers. I got buddies who can weld but again just need to find the time.

Awest623

Reaction score
Got the new motor mounts in today. Haven't taken it for a test drive yet but I imagine it'll be pretty nice. Not a bad job. Dropped the fwd differential and jacked each side of the engine one at a time. I took a bit of time and scraped off some of the 25 years of grime that's built up under the engine.

You can see my original mounts were completely shot. Nothing holding it together besides the metal failsafe.

Last edited: