1998 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Welp, one of my injectors died today. Called up AUS Injection about a warranty, they'll call me back Monday to get the replacement finalized. I was just idling in a dry cleaner parking lot when one of my cylinders stopped firing and my AFR gauge pegged full lean. Moved it over to an Autozone to get some contact cleaner but it didn't help. Pulled the electrical connector to the spider and checked resistance on the individual injectors, sure enough the #5 injector had an open circuit. I'm going to pull the upper plenum off Sunday to see if there's any obvious broken wires that I can fix, otherwise she'll be down until I get the replacement injectors in.

I'm not too upset about it. I didn't even know if the injectors had a more than 30 day warranty, but the guys at AUS Injection worked it out for me. The annoying part is pulling the supercharger on and off. I've done it enough to get a good system going but it's still a pain in the ass. Might as well replace the spark plugs while I'm at it, the supercharger basically blocks access to the left side plugs.

Awest623

Reaction score
Decided I'd take the down time and work on a couple other things while the truck is in the garage.

I wired up my clutch out switch for cruise control and CTFO. I also cleaned up a little more wiring. I lengthened my clutch pushrod (wasn't getting the travel I wanted and dragged a little while hot). Biggest thing is I rebuilt my supercharger and have her some new paint.

Attachments

• 20230826_182010.jpg
    20230826_182010.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230826_223514.jpg
    20230826_223514.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 18

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Rebuilt it yourself? Or had it rebuilt by someone? I had the 2.3 on the dually gone through a while back.

Awest623

Reaction score
Rebuilt it yourself? Or had it rebuilt by someone? I had the 2.3 on the dually gone through a while back.
Rebuilt myself. I have 2 of these superchargers. I took the good bits from both and transferred them to make a single good unit. Turned one of the cases into a makeshift jig to get everything aligned.

The one I had on my truck kept getting louder by the day. I did spin it with a drill afterwards and everything seems good to go.

In the future I might send one of them out get professionaly rebuilt and bored out. Put that one on my truck and and put the diy rebuilt on my Tahoe.

Awest623

Reaction score
I also ordered a short throw shifter from Core Shifters and a knob from Speed Dawg Shift Knobs. I'm away on a business trip rn, but they're waiting for me back home. 5th gear is quite a reach with the stock shifter, looking forward to a tighter shift pattern.

I also got myself set up to tune using PCM Hammer and Universal Patcher. I was having problems with the P59 computer getting stuck in a "catalyst test mode". This is a problem with P59 computers only.

Basically it would richen the mixture whenever it met closed loop criteria to test the cats. Since I don't have rear o2 sensors it would get stuck in that test and never enter proper closed loop, setting my lambda at .93 instead of 1.0. HP Tuners doesn't have the ability to disable the test. But using Universal Patcher I was able to access the tables responsible for that test, and a lot of other tables that HP Tuners doesn't give access to. Best part is both programs are open-source and free to use, just a lot less user friendly. The only thing you NEED to purchase is a bluetooth or wired dongle compatible with the program. I went with a bluetooth OBDLink LX. Combined with my bench harness I can read and flash PCMs while sitting on the couch in my living room!

I'll get back and start working on my truck at the beginning of October. Gotta get her running again cuz I'm moving 2 weeks later

*edit, I still haven't found a way to enable flex fuel on a 4x reluctor ring. Honestly I need to pull the engine sometime to fix some oil leaks and replace my motor mounts. I might just go ahead and swap it to 24x or 58x and run coil near plug. I know I've said before that I'm content with the stock ignition system, but thinking about it coil-near-plug is starting to sound pretty nice.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I know, my catless Z06 with no rear O2s doesn't do that. Is that a truck only thing? What parameter did you kill to knock out the catalyst test?

Awest623

Reaction score
As far as I know, my catless Z06 with no rear O2s doesn't do that. Is that a truck only thing? What parameter did you kill to knock out the catalyst test?
To my knowledge, it's a gen 3 P59 issue. Gen 4 & 5 have the tables available in hp tuners. I don't know about EFI live, never used it. I don't remember the exact table names that I disabled. Basically anything that mentioned "post cat" or "post o2". Pretty sure it was the right ones but not 100%, not much info on this problem. Only found 2 thread about it.

Awest623

Reaction score
Well, I'm back to it!
Short throw shifter installed.
Suckered up for some new valve covers, no more double-stacked gaskets.
Warrantied injectors are in.

She's back running again, better than ever!

I did have to get creative with the taller valve covers. Knocked some metal off the AC bracket to clear it. I also have to put some spacers under the supercharger to raise it up, yanked on it few times and it feels solid, test drive had no issues. No pictures of the Supercharger/AC setup, but I'll need to go get a new AC bracket to modify sometime to make it sturdier and cleaner.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: