1998 K1500 Silverado 4X4 regular cab long box Frame Dimensions??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NSDON

Reaction score
So I've found a southern front frame section for a 4X4 and looking for advice. This requires cab removal, then grind off the frame joint section welds. I'm wondering about sequence and steps and thinking:

1. Remove and replace engine and transmission as one unit. I've done this before on Chevy cars with cast iron glides- 59, 59, 59, 62, 62, 62, and a 63, they are all xframes. I used an engine lift and tilter and a jack on a roller platform under the transmission. I removed the radiator and hood but not the rad support, grill, etc.
2. Remove cab.
3. Remove front end and all items attached to the front frame section.
4. I can then grind out the welds holding the rear frame section inside the front frame section? The alignment seems foolproof.
5. I've never touched a torsion bar suspension, anything difficult?
6. I have a 12 ft ceiling and lots of room, plus a friend next door with a mini excavator.

I have a shop manual coming.

Any hints on things to do and not do are welcome.

Don

NSDON

Reaction score
I guess I can't edit my thread title, I should probably have started a new one?

NSDON

Reaction score
I'm still having no luck finding correct frame dimensions for my truck, does anyone have them stored away somewhere?

I've got it all apart now, next stage is getting the frame dimensions so I can proceed from here.

Thanks,
Don

NSDON

Reaction score
To answer your inquiry, you will need a 1998 Light Duty Series 10,20, 30, 1500, 2500, and 3500 Body Builders Book. I only have a 1996 guide to send bad examples of pics of a 1996 K1500 4x4 regular cab body style with Specs, Dimensions & Designs. Unfortunately, they are not very good pics, so I recommend acquiring a copy of the book by searching the internet or purchasing from an Ebay source if available. Good luck in your search, and let us know how what happens!
I today followed your good advice, got the same book, US$35/40, including shipping. Should have it in a week.

NSDON

Reaction score
Replaced the front frame section, it’s almost all back together, just dropped the box on yesterday. Have had it running and a yard drive, only engine light on is the airbag, which I removed, will work on that. Replaced driver fender and hood with southern used, grill, bumper, rad support. New body parts primed, grill and bumper not installed, will do that next.

I got good frame dimensions, the front frame section slid in place very nicely, very little room for error, everything measured up within a couple of mm but a wheel alignment is next and that will tell the tale?

This truck has original exhaust and it’s in perfect shape.

My buddy the painter will paint the gray lower trim when he does the fenders and hood.
You must be registered for see images attach

NSDON

Reaction score
Don’t know why it posted 2 pics. Those wheels are off my Tacoma, just rollers while I was painting the original rims. I didn’t take a picture yesterday with the box on.

NSDON

Reaction score
Finally got the wheel alignment done, it was out on toe on but my fitting of the frame back together turned out great.

NSDON

Reaction score
Front clip and gray paint are new, cab and box original paint, truck drives like new, no rattles. Have put under 1000kms on it so far. Every time I park it anywhere, someone asks if I want to sell it.

I’ve added mud flaps, hood deflector, put trim rings and caps back on it since this photo. Also did some stainless marine cleats inside the box for tie downs. I’m also working on adding my rack off the Tacoma, it’s 1.5 ft too short but you can’t buy this one with the sliding bed divider. I sold the Tacoma, I owned it for 13 years. I can haul 16 ft lumber with the rack

Last edited: