1998 gauge question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fishy

Reaction score
I have been thinking about changing my cluster to led and maybe clear the needles. I want a white back light like I have now but would like the needles to light up red. I'm wonder how to light the needles seperate from the back light. Do I have to soldier in LEDs or is the a replacement bulb for it. Any help or pointer would be great as this is the first cluster I have modded

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
They don't have separate bulbs.

you have to drill out the openings in the gauge face for the stepper motors bigger so you can then glue some LEDs in the openings to light up the needles.

fishy

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info. I have an extra cluster out of a parts truck so ill try modding that on first.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
You should also be able to paint the undersides of your needles red after they are cleared. That way you don't have to do any extra drilling or soldering. Of course, it will likely look a little better if they are run with their own LED, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score

fishy

Reaction score
You should also be able to paint the undersides of your needles red after they are cleared. That way you don't have to do any extra drilling or soldering. Of course, it will likely look a little better if they are run with their own LED, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Would it look the best if I run red LEDs and painted the back of the needles red or should they be painted white