1998 5.7 AIR INTAKE MANIFOLD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you can get the connectors and pins from efi connection or custom connectors. I bought the Holley injector harness and repinned the connector to connect to the factory harness. And yes now the marine intakes are as much or more than an aftermarket intake. When you get injectors you have to keep in mind that gm runs there setup at 60 psi and most of the aftermarket are rated at 43.5 psi if you buy the ones rated for the lower psi and run them at the higher psi they will be to big for what you have. And that only matters if you’re using the stock computer as all the fuel tables are for the higher fuel psi. If you are going to use the stock computer you will have to provide ports for the map and evap sensors. I’m doing this on a 7400. I had to get a different distributor as the crab cap puts the plug wires right into the fuel rails and there is not a different cap option
Thats a benefit of the marine intake on a SBC or 4.3L. The marine engines used the stock Vortec distributor. You can also reuse the stock throttle body. No modifications to throttle cable or cruise control cable. The stock air intake or L31 cold air intake also works. The marine MAP works. The L31 marine lid also has two bosses that can be drilled and tapped for vacuum. I used a late model TBI purge solenoid. It is electrically the same, has the same connector and has hose barbs. On a stock L31 you can use the marine injectors. The marine intake also broadens your power band without taking away low speed power; where a single plane intake or ramjet will kill off low-speed power with its shorter runners. IF a manufacturer made a decent dual plane port fuel injected intake it would actually add some low-midrange power over the cross-ram intake. I know the virtue of a dual plane PFI because I actually ran a Mercruiser one that is very similar to an Edelbrock Performer RPM.

Last edited:

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats a benifit of the marine intake on a SBC or 4.3L. The marine engines used the stock Vortec distributor. You can also reuse the stock throttle body. No modifications to throttle cable or cruise control cable. The stock air intake or L31 cold air intake also works. The marine MAP works. The L31 marine lid also has two bosses that can be drilled and tapped for vacuum. I used a late model TBI purge solenoid. It is electrically the same, has the same connector and has hose barbs. On a stock L31 you can use the marine injectors.
Yes but I don’t know that you can get them since covid and they are pricey now. I have looked online but haven’t found any certain things now have seemed to have vanished. I hope it doesn’t stay like this. I didn’t have the money to spend so I modified the stock intake. I’m still waiting for the crank trigger so I can’t say how good or bad it runs or if I’ll be able to tell as the 5.7 I’m driving now is wooped so any new engine will seem like a powerhouse

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes but I don’t know that you can get them since covid and they are pricey now. I have looked online but haven’t found any certain things now have seemed to have vanished. I hope it doesn’t stay like this. I didn’t have the money to spend so I modified the stock intake. I’m still waiting for the crank trigger so I can’t say how good or bad it runs or if I’ll be able to tell as the 5.7 I’m driving now is wooped so any new engine will seem like a powerhouse
I see them pretty often here. Just have to look in the right places. There were 2 on Facebook marketplace in the $500 range complete. a few days ago. One in Oklahoma City, OK and the other in Austin, TX. Both had already had the coolant passageway added for the water pump bypass and were tapped for the CTS. Both came off trucks that had been swapped.

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see them pretty often here. Just have to look in the right places. There were 2 on Facebook marketplace in the $500 range complete. a few days ago. One in Oklahoma City, OK and the other in Austin, TX. Both had already had the coolant passageway added for the water pump bypass and were tapped for the CTS. Both came off trucks that had been swapped.
Fb doesn’t allow me to expand my search to look in those areas. I don’t know why they don’t make that an option. It would be nice to compare what I have as I ported mine versus a marine intake

Reaction score
This was my GM to AEM notes. The left side is stock GM layout on the spider plug. The right was for the plug on the AEM harness I used. As I mentioned earlier all the pink wires are power and join two splices a few inches into the main wiring harness bundle.

You must be registered for see images attach
You are the man. I’m going to save the link for the harness you used. Also going to save this picture. I’m guessing the injector number is the cylinder number?

Mato

Reaction score
I’ve been reading this and now plan to do the AEM harness mod with Holley intake along with my 411 PCM; any tips are welcome (especially injector recommendations for future rebuild of 5.7 as a 383) and l look forward to any updates to this article as well.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve been reading this and now plan to do the AEM harness mod with Holley intake along with my 411 PCM; any tips are welcome (especially injector recommendations for future rebuild of 5.7 as a 383) and l look forward to any updates to this article as well.
I have 2011-2014 Ford 6.2L (Raptor or gas F250/F350) injectors and have working data for them. They are 41 lb/hr @ 58 psi. I got a new set of 8 for under $400 and figured that being OEM injectors they would be higher quality than many other higher priced yet cheaper designed aftermarket injectors if that makes sense. I picked them up as Standard Products FJ1166 and they were OE Ford in the package. Looks like they are actually even cheaper now than when I bought them. 8 of them would set you back about $350 shipped FedEx Ground. I prefer to use something that I can easily find a replacement for as well. Ford built many of the 6.2L and replacement parts are not too hard to find or expensive if I were to find myself needing another injector in some more remote area. They use a lot of the Ford gas trucks in the oil fields.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing I like about the 6.2L Ford injectors. O'ring to O'ring they are the same length as the marine injectors and they have the injector retainer clip groove as well. I removed the clips off the old injectors, put the clips on the Ford injectors, shoved them into the fuel rail and they were ready to go.

If you are running an 0411 or P59 you can also use the Marine Bosch T-MAP sensor very easily. New genuine Bosch replacements for that T-Map are less than $30 and Mercruiser wants like $180 for it.

Mato

Reaction score
I have 2011-2014 Ford 6.2L (Raptor or gas F250/F350) injectors and have working data for them. They are 41 lb/hr @ 58 psi. I got a new set of 8 for under $400 and figured that being OEM injectors they would be higher quality than many other higher priced yet cheaper designed aftermarket injectors if that makes sense. I picked them up as Standard Products FJ1166 and they were OE Ford in the package. Looks like they are actually even cheaper now than when I bought them. 8 of them would set you back about $350 shipped FedEx Ground. I prefer to use something that I can easily find a replacement for as well. Ford built many of the 6.2L and replacement parts are not too hard to find or expensive if I were to find myself needing another injector in some more remote area. They use a lot of the Ford gas trucks in the oil fields.

I would be interested in the data for those injectors, I have yet to tune anything, but I do have EFI Live and will figure it out eventually.