1997 TAHOE K1500 REAR DOOR TENSION BAR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My rear passenger door tension bar which basically checks the door in the open position is not in the right place and just laying on the hinge. The door free swings. Does anyone know the procedure for putting the bar back in the right position? Thank you.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they’re like the fronts, it sounds like the roller broke and the spring fell out. We do need some pictures though.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The rear door check is different. No roller or spring like the front. Just the tension bar with 2 roller wheels which rest on the check tension bar
If it's like my Burb, the hardest part is getting the pin out of the door jamb mount. I ended up using my big Vaughan pry bar(it's thin, made for building teardown and pulling nails) to get it up enough to pull it the rest of the way out. I lubed everything with spray white lithium grease, and a couple years later it's still working as intended.
This was on the rear barn doors; are you asking about them or the second set of side doors? Those I don't have much experience with; when I swapped out the left side second door, everything went back together properly.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's like my Suburban was, it's spring loaded to try and stay in place. Just push it behind the roller and it will catch and stay in its place. If you need to open the door wider you just hold it halfway closed, push the catch off the roller and then you can swing the door wide open. I'd shoot a video showing it, but I don't have a Suburban any more.