1997 Tahoe Front 4X4 Diff Actuator Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am going to replace the actuator on the front differential with this one. Looks like it is a direct replacement.

Actuator Link

I have heard a bit on "thermal" actuators or an updated one that needs a wiring change.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks!!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of "Transfer Cases" and into "Axles + Brakes".

Good chance you already have the "updated" stepper-motor actuator rather than the older thermal style. Be careful what you order.

IF (big IF) you have the older, thermal actuator, you can replace it with the stepper-motor style. The new-style is faster to engage/disengage. You'd install the updated actuator along with the updated wire harness. The wire harness kit includes a metal spacer that goes into the housing before the actuator.

Dorman 600-600. Made in China. There used to be a Genuine GM version of this; but it's long discontinued. If there's a non-Chinese version of this harness, I don't know about it.

The stepper-motor actuator can be had from several sources, including Dorman. "I" would get it from someone else.

Last edited:

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of "Transfer Cases" and into "Axles + Brakes".

Good chance you already have the "updated" stepper-motor actuator rather than the older thermal style. Be careful what you order.

IF (big IF) you have the older, thermal actuator, you can replace it with the stepper-motor style. The new-style is faster to engage/disengage. You'd install the updated actuator along with the updated wire harness. The wire harness kit includes a metal spacer that goes into the housing before the actuator.

Dorman 600-600. Made in China. There used to be a Genuine GM version of this; but it's long discontinued. If there's a non-Chinese version of this harness, I don't know about it.

The stepper-motor actuator can be had from several sources, including Dorman. "I" would get it from someone else.
Thanks. I think I found that the thermal one is for the older trucks, like pre '99 or 2000.
I watched a video on replacing it on a '97 and they had a part number for the new unit. It is an updated actuator and looks very much like the original.
We'll see what it all looks like once the weather warms back up a bit and I can get under the truck!

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update:
The truck is fixed and working great again.
Replaced the actuator on the front differential, 10 minute job, and now it goes into 4WD with no problems!

Also replaced the 4X4 switches just for good measure.