1997 Silverado Power Steering Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob Hendrix

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a 1997 C1500 Silverado yesterday and I love the truck so far! The power steering seems to be messed up though. What years had the EVO system? I am getting play in the steering and there's no power assistance at low RPMs. I am also hearing the pump groaning. The issue seems to get worse as the truck warms up. What's the most common issues with power steering on these trucks?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your '97 definitely has the EVO steering, although that doesn't sound like what's causing your problem.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a pump issue, but check for any leaks that may be letting air into the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacob Hendrix

Reaction score
I have found that the Pitman arm is bad and causing the play in the steering. The power assistance us still not working though. The fluid is brown and there might be a small leak on the steering box. What would indicate a bad steering box compared to a power steering pump?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know specifically what to look for on the steering box, but I can tell you this: I've been wrenching on cars for most of my life, I've had to replace dozens of PS pumps and zero steering boxes. It sure sounds like a bad pump to me.

Jacob Hendrix

Reaction score
I don't know specifically what to look for on the steering box, but I can tell you this: I've been wrenching on cars for most of my life, I've had to replace dozens of PS pumps and zero steering boxes. It sure sounds like a bad pump to me.

Do you think there is a greater chance that the power steering pump is bad than the fluid needing to be flushed?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How does the fluid look? A flush wouldn’t hurt, but see if you spot any leaks—particularly at the lower bottom where the line fits into the pump.

Also try jacking it up and rotate the wheel back and forth with it running. See if you see any bubbles in the reservoir.

I would put money on a pump before the steering gear. Try having someone turn the wheel while watching to see if there is a noticeable delay between the steering shaft moving and the pitman arm rotating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacob Hendrix

Reaction score
The Pitman arm is definitely bad. I could clearly see the play in it. There might be a leak on the bottom of the steering gear box. I'l look in the reservoir later and see if there's any bubbing.