1997 K1500 Rear lights bulb recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zelda

Reaction score
Had to replace the left rear lights circuit board, now I need to get bulbs. Not as straight forward as might seem.
Question: can I use 3157 bulbs for ALL THREE positions, back up, brake, tail, or should I use 3057s? Or, should I use a mix?
Another question: should I be using a double filament bulb for the back up lights e.g. 3156?
I need to get my truck inspected before end of the month here in Texas and I'm admittedly a bit confused.
Thanks in advance!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Single filament for the reverse lights, dual filament for the brake and turn signals. Stock bulb numbers from the '97 owner's manual:

Reverse lights: 3156

Turn signals: 3057

Brake lights: 3057

Moving this thread to "Audio + Electronics" FYI, I think that's a more appropriate section.

Zelda

Reaction score
Destroyer,
Thanks, pretty new to posting and wasn't sure about where to post.
Are the 3157s, said to be brighter under the "high" load, NOT recommended? Too hot, too much wattage demands?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are the 3157s, said to be brighter under the "high" load, NOT recommended? Too hot, too much wattage demands?

As fragile as the circuit boards in the factory tail lights seem to be, I would stick to the factory recommendations. You might be fine with 3157s instead of 3057s, but the extra heat might decrease the lifespan of the circuit boards.

I'm using 3457s in both of my '97s, but they've also both got aftermarket tail light assemblies that eliminate the circuit boards.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How about use what it's designed for. If the drivers handbook is still available, read it, lots of information, that's " hidden " as in not obvious. They can downloaded for free from the GM heritage website.

Zelda

Reaction score
Good tip. Had the '98 owner's manual but not the '97. Have downloaded the owner's manual for proper year model. Found the info in there.
Found a ten pack of Sylvania 3057s for a good price on Amazon.
Thanks! All good information. Hope to drive Zelda for many years to come so, trying to absorb as much as I can.

Mikeytime

Reaction score
Had to replace the left rear lights circuit board, now I need to get bulbs. Not as straight forward as might seem.
Question: can I use 3157 bulbs for ALL THREE positions, back up, brake, tail, or should I use 3057s? Or, should I use a mix?
Another question: should I be using a double filament bulb for the back up lights e.g. 3156?
I need to get my truck inspected before end of the month here in Texas and I'm admittedly a bit confused.
Thanks in advance!
here is a link to some nice led reverse lights that are plug and play. i just put them on my 1997 k1500 and am very pleased

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I also put these led lights in my turn signal and running lights and they kick ass. you need to use the load limiters in line with them but it is very easy to install. I will put both links below. Amazon says they won't fit but they will. They are bright and have an amber turn signal blink but are white when a turn signal is off.

the load resistors

the two small markers and turn signal lights

Finally, I got these LED headlights that I love. I can see so much better at night now and they were all reasonably priced.

I recommend it because I put them in my truck and am very happy so if you are looking to put in LED bulbs try these products and I think you will be impressed.