1997 7.4L 454 Vortec Engine K2500 suburban Perfomance advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gndd1997

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, kaboom...I have the exact same 'burban as yours!! I totally agree on the no chip advice, go for an ecm reprogram (I haven't done it yet as I just installed a 'new' ecm with latest factory updates because of some other drivability issues). Best bang for buck is intake (I have the K&N FIPK) and exhaust (Gibson Ceramic headers and stainless cat-back system). Big blocks need to breathe but stock everything else as I've found out the hard (and expensive) way that most aftermarket 'upgrades' aren't worth the materials they're made from and generally cause more drivability issues than cure. I also agree with everyone else, you need to get it moving and stopping reliably before throwing money at it. As far as the running issue, when you turn the key in the 'on' (not start) position can you hear the fuel pump in the fuel tank running? It should make a bit of a muffled 'buzz' sound for a second or two as the system pressurizes...and, as cheap insurance, you should definitely change the fuel filter (inside frame rail just under driver's side rear door), cap/rotor/plugs if you haven't in a while (depending how long you have owned it and if you bought it used, never trust the previous owner of any used vehicle to have treated it as well as you would, even if you've known the person your whole life!!). Just my $0.02 (or is that $0.0225 in Canadian?), let me know if you are still having problems and we'll try to figure it out!!

gndd1997

Reaction score
My bad, I guess I should have read thru the rest of the posts...+1 what everyone else said...but if you still need help, I'm just a reply away!!