1997 2-door Tahoe 4x4 LT1 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A few points on my truck:

• The headers I actually bought are sold out on ebay. The link I had up on GMT400.com died, so I found the closest thing I could. Basically they look exactly the same. The primary tubes on these trucks need to sweep back up high, then come down in a group like a single pipe. The starter, tight frame rails, and steering shaft all take up space.
  • I was MOSTLY worried about the geometry of the headers – can they be bolted in without interference? I did have to dent in the vertical portion of the passenger side heat shield. Just one hit with a soft hammer.
  • I was NOT worried about any ports on the headers– those can be plugged or added pretty easily. My LT1 motor has NO EGR, and only one O2 sensor. It’s a FAST XFI computer.
  • Because my LT1 has D-Port heads, I had to have my eBay headers modified with the proper flanges. I bought the flanges from StainlessHeaders.com. They cost over $300, which is more than the headers. I forgot to add them on my little cost table. This also meant I had to buy 1” header bolts because of the thickness of these flanges.
  • The welding time cost more than anything.
  • The drivers side header is farther inboard because the motor is shifted towards the passenger side in the frame on these trucks.
  • For whatever reason, the driver side header collector came out lower (closer to the floor) than the passenger side. Because of this, I made an offset in the pipe between the cat converter and the crossover (h-pipe). This offset is rolled to push the muffler closer to the driver side frame rail, and up over the cross-members.
  • A 3” pipe would have zero clearance above the crossmembers.

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Custom fuel setup to adapt Tahoe lines coming up to the rear of the motor to the LT1 fuel rails. This was a PITA. I should have just used the stock hard lines on the LT1 which had AN6 adapters on them already. Waaay too much fooling around here.

You must be registered for see images attach

phantom 309

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The a/c compressor fits without notching? i have a couple of good running low mile lt1's and 1 brand new oem crate engine, just iron head motors,. I have a 95 truck,. i would like to put a gen 2 in the truck, they are really torquey even at 350cid.