1996 Tahoe tail lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrewpayne83

Reaction score
Trying to troubleshoot why my taillights on my 1996 Tahoe are not working. Brake lights flashers and third brake light work but not tail lights any suggestions?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If your bulbs are good, it might be the taillight circuit boards/socket panels. Those are notorious for failing on these trucks. Also check your wiring harness for corrosion and loose connections. Trailer connector plug harness ( under the truck) can have problems too, similar to this.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Download Volume 1 of the 1998 service manual, here (or elsewhere as you see fit):

GMT400 CK Service Manual Project

or more specifically, here:

1998_GMT-98_CK-1_SERVICE_MANUAL-VOLUME_1_of_4 ** NEW 5/2016

Look for "Park/Turn Lamps Inoperative" on or around pg. 8A-110-15

Wiring diagrams start on or around pg. 8A-110-0

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The turn signal and the brake use the same bulb. So when you turn on headlights the rear lamps are not lighting. Third brake light is separate circuit from brake/ turn signals. When headlights on are other maker lights on?

andrewpayne83

Reaction score
Yes all other lights come on, headlights, side marker lights, parking lights, license plate lights,third brake light, and all dash lights just not the taillights. Some have mentioned it may be the headlight control switch on the dash. I guess I will change it and give that a try

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked for power at the connector at back by bumper? In the wiring diagram. The brown wire coming out of headlight switch runs brown out of cab under along frame rail to back near bumper the splits to left and right tailights. Headlights on that wire runs power to rear park lights. Check grounds good?