1996 Lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dash lights like radio lights and ac controls the gauges don’t come on when the light switch is on that’s what i mean

I suggest you find a wiring diagram and try to find the source of the problem that could cause so many lights to be inoperative. The problem's likely a simple one... blown fuse, severed wire, bad switch, or... the thumbwheel (the one next to the headlight switch) that allows the driver to DIM the dash / radio / AC lights is either broken or simply set in the lowest position. CHECK THIS THUMBWHEEL FIRST!

The GM service manuals for most of the GMT400 trucks can be found here in .pdf format:

GMT400 CK Service Manual Project

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the guy has the brake controller wired with twist nuts

Check to see what he did at the trailer connection in the back. A short there can impact the interior lights - just fixed this on my son’s truck where a half-assed trailer wiring job popped fuses and caused a host of lighting issues.

Otherwise, I’d run through those wiring diagrams before condemning the hazard switch.

Obslova

Reaction score
I suggest you find a wiring diagram and try to find the source of the problem that could cause so many lights to be inoperative. The problem's likely a simple one... blown fuse, severed wire, bad switch, or... the thumbwheel (the one next to the headlight switch) that allows the driver to DIM the dash / radio / AC lights is either broken or simply set in the lowest position. CHECK THIS THUMBWHEEL FIRST!

The GM service manuals for most of the GMT400 trucks can be found here in .pdf format:

GMT400 CK Service Manual Project
I’ll give it a go and see

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dash lights like radio lights and ac controls the gauges don’t come on when the light switch is on that’s what i mean
Is the illumination roller below the light switch turned down?
When the switch is off but the lights are on is there a green light illuminated on the dash?

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Note that, unlike the trucks, the Suburban/utility GMT400s (at least the later ones, 1998 in particular) do not preference the brake lights over the flashers; if the hazards are on, the lights flash regardless of the brake light switch / brake pedal position.
Don't suppose you know if anyone's ever re-wired one of the trucks to the suburban style? Having the hazards stop flashing during braking has always bugged me on these trucks.

Far as I'm concerned if you've got your hazards on anyone around you should be paying attention and be ready to react to something like a sudden deceleration.
Not that when my hazards are on I spend much time slowing down...

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't suppose you know if anyone's ever re-wired one of the trucks to the suburban style? Having the hazards stop flashing during braking has always bugged me on these trucks.

It should be easy to do.

Look at the wiring diagram I posted earlier. To change the trucks to be like the utilities,

- remove the power connection coming from the relay going to the hazard switch (see the terminal marked "E2" on the switch in the wiring diagram) and

- move it the terminal marked A1, as shown on the switch in the diagram.

I would guess the wires are already present on the hazard switch, you just need to change the wiring at the connector in the steering column where the hazard switch connects to the vehicle.

The GMT400 utilities have a connection on the lead going to A1 and probably have the connection on E2 unpopulated (or otherwise unused); the opposite should be true of the trucks.

Maybe we ought to make this a sticky.

I feel the same way you do; I want the flashers to be flashing when they're supposed to be flashing.

Last edited: