1996 Lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obslova

Reaction score
Let me introduce myself first I’m 21yr old Florida man and i love chevy I’ve worked on them alot growing up i just bought a 1996 c 3500 454 2wd ec and it seems like the lights are all over the place let me begin by saying that when the light switche is on off the low beams are on the running lights do not work the dash lights/ odometer do not work the cab lights on top that are yellow do not come on my flashers do not work when the flashers are on and I press the brakes both front turn signals to come on when the flashers are off the turn signals all work fine the brake lights work but nothing else works

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Wow, theres a lot going on there.

First off, welcome!

Next have you replaced any bulbs at all? Have you noticed any odd wiring at all like wire nuts or pinch connectors?

For the hazards, these trucks show preference to the brake lights over the hazards so if you have them running, the brake lights will stay lit up over the hazards flashing.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the hazards, these trucks show preference to the brake lights over the hazards so if you have them running, the brake lights will stay lit up over the hazards flashing.
@Obslova, this ^^^ seems to explain some of the behavior you've seen.

In the trucks, the parking / brake lights will flash when the hazards are on UNLESS the brake pedal is depressed, in which case the rear taillights will illuminate continually (I believe the front turn signals still flash though).

Note that, unlike the trucks, the Suburban/utility GMT400s (at least the later ones, 1998 in particular) do not preference the brake lights over the flashers; if the hazards are on, the lights flash regardless of the brake light switch / brake pedal position.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when the light switche is on off the low beams are on the running lights do not work the dash lights/ odometer do not work the cab lights on top that are yellow do not come on

You didn't write well here, do you mean when the "light switch is ON" or "when the light switch is OFF"?

When the light switch is OFF, the DRLs will illuminate (low beams only) but no other lights (dash / gauge / running lights) are operative. When the switch is ON, the all dash / gauge / running lights and headlights (low or high, as selected) should be operative.

both front turn signals to come on when the flashers are off

There was a guy earlier this year that had very odd behavior with his lights / electrical system... if his foot was on the brake, and he then turned off the ignition (with the engine running), the engine would continue to run until he let off the brake. The root cause: A bad turn/hazard switch.

The gist of the story is that the hazard / turn signal switch links together a number of circuits in the vehicle. That switch has a BUNCH of connections in it and, if one or more go bad, crazy behavior will result.

The wiring diagram for 1998 (1996 is similar / identical) is attached.

Attachments

• GMT400 - taillights and hazard wiring diagram.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Obslova

Reaction score
You didn't write well here, do you mean when the "light switch is ON" or "when the light switch is OFF"?

When the light switch is OFF, the DRLs will illuminate (low beams only) but no other lights (dash / gauge / running lights) are operative. When the switch is ON, the all dash / gauge / running lights and headlights (low or high, as selected) should be operative.

There was a guy earlier this year that had very odd behavior with his lights / electrical system... if his foot was on the brake, and he then turned off the ignition (with the engine running), the engine would continue to run until he let off the brake. The root cause: A bad turn/hazard switch.

The gist of the story is that the hazard / turn signal switch links together a number of circuits in the vehicle. That switch has a BUNCH of connections in it and, if one or more go bad, crazy behavior will result.

The wiring diagram for 1998 (1996 is similar / identical) is attached.
So what i meant was when i have the switch at position off the low beams are on
When the hazards switch is on the hazards don’t work but when i press the brakes the front flashers come on solid i think it’s shorted out the guy has the brake controller wired with twist nuts

Obslova

Reaction score
Wow, theres a lot going on there.

First off, welcome!

Next have you replaced any bulbs at all? Have you noticed any odd wiring at all like wire nuts or pinch connectors?

I haven’t replaced anything just got it home yesterday

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what i meant was when i have the switch at position off the low beams are on

I would claim those lights are "on" because of the DRL feature.

When the hazards switch is on the hazards don’t work but when i press the brakes the front flashers come on solid i think it’s shorted out the guy has the brake controller wired with twist nuts

I'm willing to bet it's the hazard switch, but I've been wrong before (as recently as today) :popcorn:

Obslova

Reaction score
The dash and cluster lights never come on no matter what should i just try a bew switch first