1996 GMC K1500 SLE: worn out driver's seat internals; need tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my recently new-to-me high mileage GMC K1500, ext. cab, has the 60/40 cloth seats. Power lumbar on each side; neither work. Driver's seat lower cushion has seen better days and feeling under the seat I can feel the bottom is, "breaking through," in some fashion. Not sure wrecking yard seats will be much better, but I'll begin looking. (For parts for rebuilding if nothing else). Has anyone ever rebuilt the, "guts," of these seats? Since my driver's seat also includes the center section as one unit, I'm skeptical my 78-year old body will like wrestling that thing out of there. I have other rig to drive, so pickup can sit inside all winter if needed. Puts time somewhat on my side.
So either scrap yard replacement or find an upholstery guy to rebuild it? I'd love to hear what others do in these situations.

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On three different trucks I have sourced seats from junkyard. Keep an eye out and good interior will usually show up. I work with a guy whose father owns an upholstery shop. I have seen his work and it is amazing but so is the price tag and I cannot justify it. If the truck was my daily I might feel differently.

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you. I'm going to begin looking into scarp yards for one. I know it's, "iffy." And not likely to match in material or color, although mine is gray and I hear that was the most common interior color. I'm going to look again for a you tube video for removing the seat. It looks heavy and not small. Two things against me are age and I rarely have help to do things like this. Wish I could see an exploded diagram of these seats, both like mine with only lumbar electrics, and a full power seat, (which I wish I had !!!).