1996 GMC K1500 ExCab 4WD SLE: what to look out for when installing replacement HVAC Control? Calibration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've searched and read all I could; some confusion. So I have a new HVAC Control on the way. I read when installing it, I ought to first disconnect battery, install Control Head, hook battery back up and wait one minute for, "actuators to re-calibrate."
Is this it?
I also read that actuators and blend doors are a problem. This truck is new to me. 280,000 miles. Mediocre previous maintenance. I've already replaced the blower and resistor pack. Heater now works. No sign AC works. Doubt it's worked for who knows how long. I'll need it next summer, so I need to work my way through all associated components. Right now I have dash trim off, am renewing the stock AM/FM, Cassette, CD radio system, and will next pull instrument cluster to replace bulbs. Just in moving the HVAC control unit, several white plastic pieces broke.....very brittle. No GM marks on this panel. Ordered a new one.
So....are there sneaky things I need to know before putting HVAC unit into operation when it comes? Thanks, Dennis in E WA state