1996 C1500 4.3 swap to 454 big block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First let me say what a Great site!

This is my first truck and I cant believe that I didn't pick one up sooner. It's awesome, but I would like to plan out an engine swap in the near future,.

My goals are to have a NA motor that can replace the 4.3 in the 400HP range!

I have been researching LS motors 5.3, lq4, lq9 but they seem like they can get very expensive to swap.

so I started thinking what about a 454 with oval Heads, Cam, and dual exhaust.

What do you guys think?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Based on what I've seen you could probably do the LS swap for much cheaper than the 454 and be better off in the power department, although admittedly I haven't done a whole lot of research. The 454SS trucks were only rated at 230HP when they came out, doubt you'll touch 400HP for anything that resembles cheap with a 454.

EDIT - Appears the Vortec 454s were a little better off, 290HP from the factory. That's still a pretty big gap to make up, though.

Reaction score
I read this article today that was talking about getting a 454, installing Pro comp Heads (mild porting), Summit Racing (k-1303) cam and single-plane intake, they reached 500 hp

It sounded very cool, they listed all the parts and cost, it came in cost wise at 2,300

too good to be true??

I'm still learning every day so I am no expert my any means. lol

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
A big block is heavier by far than an LS. I would not dream of swapping out a 4.3 for a 454... kiss your mileage good bye. It may make more torque, but the penalties aren't worth it. The swap to an LS engine has been documented and done many times over. A stock 5.3 would be a nice upgrade though. Power and economy.

I would take a hard look at the rest of the truck before spending any money. It's hard to justify spending time and energy fixing what isn't broke, unless you really have a clean truck, plus time, money and a place to work in.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with the ls!

Side note-damn Michael you got a Looney!
If my EX is reading this, good for her. Sarah, you need to get a life and stop stalking me both on and offline, the conduct is an offense under sec. 264 of the criminal code.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
500hp from a 454 is pretty easy even with factory heads as long as you stick with oval port heads. The important part for a truck is the torque. A bbc will make massive torque. However, as previously mentioned, an LS will be much lighter and more economical on the road. The cost isn't much different actually and you'll come out ahead with the LS after a few trips to the gas station. If you want big power later just bolt on a turbo.