1996 5.0/5.7 vortec question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel Brown

Reaction score
So if what I have been reading is correct, the only real difference between the 5.0 and the 5.7 in the 1996 vortec is the bore. That and the exhaust. Am I reading this right? If so, I will just rebuild my 5.0 and bore it to a 5.7. I assume that i will also need to replace the heads.

Let me know,
Dan

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if what I have been reading is correct, the only real difference between the 5.0 and the 5.7 in the 1996 vortec is the bore. That and the exhaust. Am I reading this right? If so, I will just rebuild my 5.0 and bore it to a 5.7. I assume that i will also need to replace the heads.

Let me know,
Dan

Late model blocks can go a most of about .060" over. That is way short of a 4.000" bore starting from a 3.735" bore. Better off just getting a GM 350 crate engine.

LikeARock94

Reaction score
The age old question. No, you cannot bore a 305 out to a 350. The castings are different.
On top of that, the heads are also different.
Realistically, the only thing they probably share, outside of various sensors, is the crank. Maybe the intake plenum.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The age old question. No, you cannot bore a 305 out to a 350. The castings are different.
On top of that, the heads are also different.
Realistically, the only thing they probably share, outside of various sensors, is the crank. Maybe the intake plenum.

The stroke is the same the balance is not. The Vortec motors use the same cam, lifters, pushrods, timing sets etc. Same intake manifold and injector spider.

LikeARock94

Reaction score
The stroke is the same the balance is not. The Vortec motors use the same cam, lifters, pushrods, timing sets etc. Same intake manifold and injector spider.
Good point, I wasn't considering the balance.

eshaw

Reaction score
That's a good price but I like to know the mileage on the engine and also like to see the oil on the dipstick. I guess for 350.00 that's asking a lot.