1995 TBI to Carbureted 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
hey guys I'm new to the forum. i have got a 1995 chevy k1500 4x4 350 throttle body with cold air 8.5 mm accel super wires and a B&M shift controller. it has the 4l60e and I'm wondering with going to a complete carbureted engine will i need to find a new tranny? I'm not using any computer stuff this thing is going old school. so i was just wondering i know the e in 4l60e stands for electronic does that mean electronically shifted? electronically lock up? I'm just kinda looking for an answer if i drop a 350 carbureted engine can i bolt on and go?

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
You will need a stand alone transmission controller to use a 4L60E behind the carbed engine...your best bet would be to get ahold of a 4wd TH700R4 transmission if you want to go computerless. However you may need to change transfer cases as well depending on the spline count on the output shaft on the TH700. Honestly..you are prob better off just living with the added cost of a stand alone transmission computer to make it work..

birdman11

Reaction score
hey guys I'm new to the forum. i have got a 1995 chevy k1500 4x4 350 throttle body with cold air 8.5 mm accel super wires and a B&M shift controller. it has the 4l60e and I'm wondering with going to a complete carbureted engine will i need to find a new tranny? I'm not using any computer stuff this thing is going old school. so i was just wondering i know the e in 4l60e stands for electronic does that mean electronically shifted? electronically lock up? I'm just kinda looking for an answer if i drop a 350 carbureted engine can i bolt on and go?

I can burn you a custom chip to make that thing a whole new animal! Let me know

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Sell it and find a good square body with 350 4x4 and a solid th400.

You'll be better off and have less headaches.

Other than that, rip the drivetrain out from stem to stern and swap in a 350, a TH400 (700r4 if you want to keep overdrive and lockup), something like an NP205 transfer case and then solid front axle. Get ready for various headaches if you still want things like cruise control and speedometers to work.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just tha ***'s not as easy as dropping a carburetor on a dual plane and calling it a day.....it's not as cheap as some think either....way more expensive than getting the TBI running well.

If you want to do it as a project, then rock on my friend....

:)

Last edited:

birdman11

Reaction score
Sell it and find a good square body with 350 4x4 and a solid th400.

You'll be better off and have less headaches.

Other than that, rip the drivetrain out from stem to stern and swap in a 350, a TH400 (700r4 if you want to keep overdrive and lockup), something like an NP205 transfer case and then solid front axle. Get ready for various headaches if you still want things like cruise control and speedometers to work.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just tha ***'s not as easy as dropping a carburetor on a dual plane and calling it a day.....it's not as cheap as some think either....way more expensive than getting the TBI running well.

If you want to do it as a project, then rock on my friend....

:)
Yep , I agree. IT's always cheaper and easier to get the Fuel injected vehicle running right. Like I said before. I can burn you a custom chip to make that thing run right.

Michael D

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running a 4L60e tranny is easy with a carb. You have to leave the coolant temp sensor on. There's actually 2, 1 for the computer and 1 for the gauge. You also have to leave the vehicle speed sensor on the trans. Next, you have to get a HEI type distributor for it, but you should already be using one for the carb swap. The power wire and the tach wire from the harness need to plug into the new dist. Last, you're going to need a throttle position sensor. Holley sells one that goes onto a carb with an electric choke. I didn't bother with that, and just mounted my tps on the carb primary shaft. With those sensors on, and working properly, your tranny will never know that there's a carb on the engine.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Running a 4L60e tranny is easy with a carb. You have to leave the coolant temp sensor on. There's actually 2, 1 for the computer and 1 for the gauge. You also have to leave the vehicle speed sensor on the trans. Next, you have to get a HEI type distributor for it, but you should already be using one for the carb swap. The power wire and the tach wire from the harness need to plug into the new dist. Last, you're going to need a throttle position sensor. Holley sells one that goes onto a carb with an electric choke. I didn't bother with that, and just mounted my tps on the carb primary shaft. With those sensors on, and working properly, your tranny will never know that there's a carb on the engine.

Bingo.... there's some people giving poor advice in this thread.... maintaining the 4l60 is really straight forward guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2