1995 Suburban WiFi Project (Under $200)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Holy crap that ThinkPad setup looks identical to my old one haha. My mount even had the same velcro strap across it. I used a ThinkPad A23m and occasionally an R series, had them hooked into my head unit via an AUX input. Had to run a ground loop isolator to keep static off the audio on account of noise from the inverter. Memories...

mistaake

Reaction score
If you want free wifi, get good at using wireshark. ;)

Nah, I want to stick to open/public networks. I don't know if you remember the old Orinoco Gold PCMCIA cards. Had that, a ThinkPad X31, and some random Linux distro. Worked great for that.

Most people are using WPA2 at this point and that is more difficult to compromise. Not impossible just not worth the time. Internet isn't that important to me :)

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was just looking up specs on the bullet and it says range dependent on antenna - 50KM. So with the antenna you have listed do you know about the distance it would reach?

mistaake

Reaction score
I was just looking up specs on the bullet and it says range dependent on antenna - 50KM. So with the antenna you have listed do you know about the distance it would reach?

There is no way I am going to get 30 miles of range. I'm sure they are assuming that you have a good directional antenna, not omni-directional like I ams using, properly pointed at the signal, with another Ubiquiti radio at the other end also set up under optimal conditions, perhaps in a point-to-point or PtMP set up (point to multi point) all using Ubiquiti equipment or other ISP-grade hardware. Keep in mind that while the Bullet has a powerful radio most consumer level or small business routers are not anywhere close to as powerful and just because I will be able to see the access point with my Bullet does not mean I can establish a good connection.

I really have no idea what my range is going to be but it will be interesting to find out and I will report back on that :)

mistaake

Reaction score
OK... well, not so happy. Tried it for the first time today and it didn't work so well. Range is hardly better than my laptop's built in WiFi chip. I wasn't expecting anything insane but definitely not this lame. I couldn't even see my own WiFi across the parking lot of the apartment building. Fairly certain I have a problem with a connection, because I'm going from antenna to bulkhead to surge protector coupler to right angle to the Ubiquiti Bullet. Either the antenna is not grounded or it's actually a bad connection. I will tinker with it a bit more. If it does n't work out I'll just mount a 48" CB antenna I just got for free, on the roof over the hole. That way I already have a hole to run the wire through. Will report back.