1995 K1500 U-joint disassembly question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevrobster

Reaction score
I'm not sure if driveshafts fit under the Axles/Brakes section, the Transmission section, or the Transfer Case section, so if it goes elsewhere please kindly advise.

I'm trying to replace the U-joints on the front and rear driveshafts in my K1500 since they were stiff as a board when I removed them to replace my transmission last week. After taking a closer look at them today, they aren't like any u-joint I've seen. There doesn't appear to be any snap rings holding the bearing caps in?:Frustrated::Frustrated: I'm no u-joint expert, but I've seen both the C-clip type (clipped on the inside of the yoke), and the standard internal snap-ring type (on the outside of the yoke), and this doesn't seem to have either.

I may need to post pictures to explain this, but there was a rubber-coated sort of cover on the inside of the yoke, about where I would expect a C-clip to be, that I would assume is to seal the grease in. I destroyed and removed this cover so I could see better what was going on and still can't find anything holding the caps.

Is this what the normal u-joints on these trucks are like? Is there some trick to removing the caps, or am I just crazy?

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pics needed... Possible options are:

- Internal c-clip (Which is what it should have)
- External snap ring
- Bolt in bearing caps (Very unlikely, common on semi's)
- Bearing cap straps (Wrap over the cap and are usually used to secure the u-joint to the driven part and not the driveline)

edit: Nevermind, looks like above poster found it

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always called them "wax rings" but if there are no clips or snap rings, its got the "wax rings" as I call them.

Just heat up the yoke around the cap and the stuff will work its way out.