1995 Ecu Questions, Manual Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fortrex

Reaction score
Just acquired a new truck, 95 reg cab long box. It is a 1995 and is currently 350tbi/4l60e. I am looking to do a standard swap, the truck was a factory 4.3/5speed so there is already a hole in the floor, pedal is already there, master cylinder is still there as well. I have a sm465 with a hydro bellhousing as well as a 32 spline np241 out of a gmt400. I am a welder/fabricator by trade so I will just make myself a new crossmember if necessary.

I have it pretty much all figured out besides the computers. I haven't been able to find much info on the 95 year computer wise. I am mostly wondering if for the 95 year there is an engine ECU as well as a transmission TCU or if it is all together in a PCM. And as for the swap, will it be as simple as unplugging a tcu or leaving the pcm unchanged? I will leave the column and dash the way they are, likely just removing the auto-column shifter arm. I will wire in my own reverse lights and NSS, so basically the only thing I am concerned with is making sure the engine still operates properly.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those PCM's control both engine and transmission. I swapped a similar style (16197427 to be exact) into my 1990 to run a 383/NV4500. The PCM originally controlled a 4L80E, but I converted it to operate with a manual transmission. It is fairly easy to do if you have the ability to burn your own EPROMs.

Fortrex

Reaction score
I've never looked into that, the most I've done is swap one computer for another, I've never opened them. Would it run without converting the EPROM?

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe, but there will be a lot of codes thrown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortrex

Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried about the codes if they didn't affect engine performance. Would a 1995 ecu out of a factory 350/nv3500 or nv4500 work?

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could imagine the ECM going into limp mode if there was no feedback from an automatic transmission that isn't there. It would be much easier to swap in the ECM from a stock manual transmission truck.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you happen to have the ECM part number? That would help narrow down a lot of possibilites. Is it the original ECM that controlled the 4.3/5 Speed, or is it the one from the truck that donated the 5.7/4L60E?

Fortrex

Reaction score
I imagine it is the one that came out of the 5.7/4l60e truck as the whole dash and column were swapped in for the newer motor. the code is the same as the one you mentioned, 16197427