1995 C1500 4L60e to Manual Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
So rebuilding a manual? Something I could do? Or something I'd be better off paying a shop to do?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Another question, skylark, are you saying I'd need to swap the output shafts?

Also is the shifter removable? If I wind up with an 88-94 trans, could I replace the shifter with one from a 95+?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Yeah I would get a 2wd and probably the driveshaft out of the donor (as long as it's an ecsb). I don't remember reading in saves thread whether he got a new driveshaft or not but I know he said the nv4500 was 1/8" longer than his 700r4.
Converting an auto?
I do not know specifically on the 2wd transmissions, but the 4wd versions of NV3500 and NV4500 use the same driveline and crossmember. S-series transmissions are longer in 2wd form than C/K trucks.

So T56 swap is exactly the same? There's a write up that Alcoious (?) did on another forum for a t56 swap
It's very similar, from the standpoint of the wiring/clutch portions of it.

but a cluster from a manual won't have the PRND321. Or am I wrong?
Yeah the clusters are the same, the prind321 is on a removable plate. Yeah, Alocious did a real good write up, but there are a couple others out there too.
Your current cluster will work, but you will have the PRND321 indicator markings. I painted over them in my 98 so I could use the escalade cluster in it. 95+DOES NOT have the blockout plate like the earlier 88-94 trucks.

I could be wrong so please double check but I believe that the NV3500, T56 and the 4L60E are all within a fraction of an inch of each other and they all used the same drive shaft but the sticks had a 32 spline output vs the 4L60E having a 27 spline output. I believe that the NV3500 and the 4L60E cross members are the same as well. Once again, PLEASE double check!
Again, I don't know specifically for 2wd on the lengths. I do know they are 32 spline on the manuals.

So rebuilding a manual? Something I could do? Or something I'd be better off paying a shop to do?
The NV3500 is an aluminum cased transmission like a automatic, and i've heard they are more difficult to rebuild. The NV4500 is a top loader style cast iron case, much easier/straightforward. I've rebuilt 3 NV4500s. It requires special tools and a press at minimum, plus you have to get the backlash set properly on the shaft bearings... Unless you feel comfortable with it I would skip it. The second one I rebuilt I think I didn't get the backlash right and it ate an input shaft, hence me rebuilding it again at the start of summer.

Also is the shifter removable? If I wind up with an 88-94 trans, could I replace the shifter with one from a 95+?
You'll need a new driveline yolk. The manuals are all 32 spline as far as I know.

The shifters are removable, yes. I believe the NV3500 used the same shift tower bolt pattern so you swap to the 95+ style. The NV4500 used two styles of shift towers / shifters / topcovers 92-94 and 95+. They don't interchange.
Another thing to remember if you find a NV4500, they have some off year splits. 92-94 is lower gearing, bottleneck style tower and external slave cylinder. 92-93 and some 94s have a lockout low 1st so you can't shift when your moving too fast. In 95 they upgraded the shift tower/top cover and upped the gear ratios, as well as changed the bellhousing-transmission bolt pattern. In 96 they started using the internal slave cylinder/throw out bearing combo. 99+ they added a synchronized reverse gear.

Did you catch that? 95 is a 1-year NV4500 transmission. I don't know about the NV3500... but be careful. Gm has a lot of weird 95 only items. Such as your gauge cluster... HVAC... cab harness...... ETC

To do this properly, your BEST bet would be to find a 95 truck and pull the dash harness. I know you'll have to add 2 switches on the clutch pedal for the cruise cancel/start interlock, plus whatever differences there are between auto and manual for the transmission itself.
And lastly.... there are earlier transmission that are made by Getrag that look like a NV3500. Externally the earlier GM units look like the NV3500, but they are more complicated internally. 88-90 they used a HM290 and 91-92 they used a 5LM60. in 93 they started using the NV3500.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Now what happens if I don't get the computer set up for a manual transmission right away? Does it just throw a code or would itnot be driveable until I did?

Last edited:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Now what happens if I don't get the computer set up for a manual transmission right away? Does it just throw a code or would itnot be driveable until I did?

I imagine it wouldn't be very happy, the 4L60E was electronically controlled then. My 88 had the auto computer with no modification but the 700R4 was mechanical.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

No. I'm saying that you would need the correct yoke and if the trannies are the same length then you could use your same drive shaft. I believe that the shifters were the same but once again, check.