1994 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Glad you got it all buttoned up, let us know how it drives once you take it out!

Yeah I'm interested to see myself. Carbureted engines definitely have their flaws, but the L-31 is a good longblock. I'm hoping between the edelbrock carb, headers and high performance ignition it really wakes it up.

Worst case scenario, if its a dog or a pain to use for daily(ish) driving, I'll ether put the motor in my 51 Chevy and put something else in it or look into a fuel injection setup. I really think it should be fine though.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Love the thread man! Just spent the last half an hour reading through it. Certainly giving me ideas for my 6.5 truck build :)

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
The electric to mechanical injection conversion and the diesel to gas conversion really weren't that bad... I wasn't really able to find much information on it, so I kind of had to pave the way in a sense. Lots of research. Baumann Electronics who sells the US Shift Controller was a big help with the transmission.

I actually really seriously looked into Cummins swaps on it. I've talked to quite a few guys who've done it, much more work and I've heard guys say they've spent about $6-7k on them. I calculated around $5000 (with a used engine and no modifications) My trans would've needed rebuilt to handle the Cummins, I would've had to have stuffed the intercooler in there, buy custom motor mounts/trans adaptors. With the higher volume lift pump, and all of the conversion parts like making the factory gauges/accessories work, I would've easily spent more than $5k, easily.

At least now the truck is close to being back on the road, and if I decide later on that I want to 6BT swap it I can take my time and rebuild a 6BT and a stout 4L80E, while still being able to drive the truck while I'm doing it.

Realistically it will never happen, I don't really tow loads heavier than the 350 can realistically handle. This swap ran cost me just over $3000 and gets me back on the road while staying on a budget.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So my weekends are typically too busy to devote time to this thing, so i'm actually most productive after work most weeknights....

Got the hood buffed out a little bit and put back on (whole truck needs a good wash/wax)

You must be registered for see images attach

Got everything under the hood hooked up... (except electric choke)

Going to need two new batteries, these batteries are from 08. lol They can't even turn on the running lights without being trickle charged. Going to put two Interstates in there. Don't wanna spend optima money.

Fuel lines are all hooked up, regulator/fuel pressure gauge are hooked up.

Only thing that i have left is to wire up the electric choke, clean the tank, and reinstall it with the new fuel pump. I'll probably leave the torque converter cover off for a couple week or so just to monitor the torque converter bolts and make sure none of them back out.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
No pictures, but for those who care, picked up a new interstate battery last night, cleaned out the tank, hooked up the fuel pump and fuel lines and basically got the truck ready to fire. Was going to wait, but said screw it and turned the key. Fired right up. I was shocked how quickly it fired up. It ran OK, idles a little quick, and the distributor timing could use minor adjustments. However it fired right up and throttle response was sharp. Tube headers sound pretty good, might just leave the truck open headers lol jk

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Hey what seller did you buy the fender flares from on eBay? I'm tempted to join the dark side... I just want to make sure they are flat in color, not glossy black.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Thanks! Great job on the build, by the way. I didn't realize how much you've put in since the last time I dropped in here.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Oh yeah, its been quite the project. Started with the rust free chassis, then re-did the interior, then swapped a mechanical injected 6.5 I had into it, more interior mods, then the block cracked... so I was all in at that point so I just swapped a 350 in it. Used a carb for simplicity. Excited to drive it again. Its been about 3 years since I've been able to routinely drive it.