1994 Chevy Burban Silverado K1500 shuddering noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seza

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

great forum - a big thank you to all those that made it possible,

I am in a state of distress after hearing some noise emanating from driver side near front wheel,
it happen intermittently mostly when I accelerate on an upward climb and only on the fast gear,
hard to describe the noises, creaking shuddering as if something stuck?

checked oil levels, check bearings, etc ... all looks ok

am hopeful one of yous can give me some pointers?

the front main drive shaft has bit of a play, I am thinking of removing it?
assuming I wont engage the 4x4 - can the vehicle run without it?

thanks

seza

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your prompt reply,
618 Syndicate, removing the drive shaft is part of process of elimination ... because it has bit of a play I though may it is the cause?
for your first q I think bit of both, because I can feel some vibrations as well as hearing the creaking/shudder
Frank E, it is 1994 Burban K1500, 5.7 engine, transmission something 80?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Groovy. The trans would be a 4L80E. A lighter duty 4L60E is often installed in lighter duty trucks.

4 = number of forward gears
L = longitudinal (front to back)
80= GM's load rating. The higher the number the more load the trans can handle.
E = Electronic transmission control. Without the computer a 4L80E will have 2nd and Reverse gears.

The round electrical connector on the 4L80E is driver's side on the side of the case above the linkage.

On a 4L60E the same connector is on the passenger side on top.

And there's your trivia for today!:biggrin:

Welcome to the forum!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your prompt reply,
618 Syndicate, removing the drive shaft is part of process of elimination ... because it has bit of a play I though may it is the cause?
Maybe, but I wouldn't start there.
for your first q I think bit of both, because I can feel some vibrations as well as hearing the creaking/shudder
Has any maintenance been done lately? Hit anything? Run over potholes?
Do you have the ability to jack up the front and see if there's any play in the wheel bearing on that side?
Frank E, it is 1994 Burban K1500, 5.7 engine, transmission something 80?
Probably a 4L60E in a 1500 not a 4L80

seza

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a helpful bunch, thank you all ...
looong story with this big girl! she was an import from the US into the UK where it was converted from gas 5.7 to GM 6.5TD[from 1996 2500 army truck] by the previous owner, hence my confusion as to the trans model, I said earlier it was 5.7 I meant the original engine,

I bought it some 11 years ago from the guy's[who converted it] wife who had no clue about the vehicle,
so far she [the vehicle not the wife!] has performed incredibly well, I travel with it across Europe to North Africa multiple times where it get used and abused,
I do all servicing myself as there are no proper GM/Chevrolet outlets that know about these ol beasts here
I change engine oil on a regular basis, not so regular with ATF but I check the levels weekly,

In addition to the front main drive shaft I am beginning to suspect front brake because this issue only started since changing the front brake pads [did not change the disks as they looked ok and I only changed them last year], as soon as notice the problem I stop and feel the front brakes and wheel rims for heat, nothing out of the ordinary I even jacked up the dodgy side and turned the wheel it turn freely.

One of you mentioned about pot holes - yes there tons of them here and nasty ones too!

not sure where to go from here?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so it's a 1500 but it has a 6.5 and 4L80E swapped in, correct?

If you changed brake pads, and this problem began after that, I would start there. Take it back apart and make sure everything is where it should be. Was there any noise from the wheel as it turned in the air? Any abnormal movement?
Have you hit a pothole hard enough to jar things loose in the suspension?