1993 Yukon crate motor hydraulic roller lifter cleaning and adjustment journey - (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Providing none of your pushrods are bent they will work fine. You may want to examine the tips and make sure there is no damage from all the thrashing they've been subjected to. May be a good idea to get new rocker nuts,you have adjusted those enough times now for them to lose they're locking capability.

No worries man, asking questions is how you gain knowledge.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last night I did a cold adjustment. 1 turn past zero lash...

Fired up the truck today....every one was tapping...and wouldn't shut up......wtf....

all rockers acted normal...pumping like everyone says they should...Could barely tell they were even oiling without a flashlight and the obvious puddles on rocker arms flowing....great...but all tapping?
After it starts getting warm....number 2 starts shooting wild....
few others started......

I see micro air bubbles around the problem number 2 rocker nut...air in the oil?? maybe traces of similar in another.... but 2 was quite noticeable.....
Come to think of it, number 6 had been shooting bigger air bubbles the other night...I tried taking a video...Like they were spaced apart bigger air bubbles.....

So I test number 4 by tightening a quarter turn...no change...put it back and turn around and do a hot adjustment to get zero lash on all of them....
Shut it down and do a full turn on all of them....

Start it up, 2 taps then normal....Little noisier in general than I know it can be but no tapping.....
I counted my loosening while taking them to zero lash when running and I was at 1 full turn....just like it should have been from last night..why then the initial craziness? sitting open for a couple of days?...not sure they were going to quiet on their own.....

Doesn't make any sense...
And now lifters are randomly deciding to spray ...
I'm going to close everything up...dump a bottle of rislone in now that I relieved some oil level into my bay from the rogue shooters...
Frustrating...

I know new lifters on an old questionable cam isn't good but, these jokers are driving me crazy....can't be healthy for motor..?new lifters would just get screwed up again if I don't prove this dirtiness can go away...
Will see how this full turn handles the start up tapping.. would be nice to at least keep it to a couple of seconds at startup if nothing else.....
Kinda wish I had never messed with them but, the truck has run and sounded better since so the new tapping at startup will have to be tolerated for now.

chirping still there but seems to have moved from 2 to 4...still around 6....
Hard to tell but I'm not convinced the rocker rods aren't rubbing.... They all had shiny areas where they go through head when I cleaned them last month.....idk....hard to see but clearances are incredibly close afaik....i need to get a stethoscope...hose isn't focused enough...

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's what I mean about the rods/clearance. If I shift the rocker it obviously has clearance. Just can't tell what's going on with motor running... Guess I'll try to look again....

But would this make noises?
Going to grab a stethoscope in a bit... I'm guessing that could narrow it down....

Attachments

• IMG20240419150058.jpg
    IMG20240419150058.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG20240419150007.jpg
    IMG20240419150007.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 7

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have self-aligning rockers?

Looks to me like the pushrods are guided by the holes in the cylinder head.
I don't know..

Here's a pic I have

saw this on another forum..relevant?
:The valvetrain can only be aligned at one place. If you force alignment in two places, you will probably cause binding and premature wear. Installing self-aligning rockers may cause your pushrods to rub on the iron heads. Some members have gotten away with this (so far), but don't take their advice"

Attachments

• IMG20240311145016.jpg
    IMG20240311145016.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 16

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night I did a cold adjustment. 1 turn past zero lash...

Fired up the truck today....every one was tapping...and wouldn't shut up......wtf....

all rockers acted normal...pumping like everyone says they should...Could barely tell they were even oiling without a flashlight and the obvious puddles on rocker arms flowing....great...but all tapping?
After it starts getting warm....number 2 starts shooting wild....
few others started......

I see micro air bubbles around the problem number 2 rocker nut...air in the oil?? maybe traces of similar in another.... but 2 was quite noticeable.....
Come to think of it, number 6 had been shooting bigger air bubbles the other night...I tried taking a video...Like they were spaced apart bigger air bubbles.....

So I test number 4 by tightening a quarter turn...no change...put it back and turn around and do a hot adjustment to get zero lash on all of them....
Shut it down and do a full turn on all of them....

Start it up, 2 taps then normal....Little noisier in general than I know it can be but no tapping.....
I counted my loosening while taking them to zero lash when running and I was at 1 full turn....just like it should have been from last night..why then the initial craziness? sitting open for a couple of days?...not sure they were going to quiet on their own.....

Doesn't make any sense...
And now lifters are randomly deciding to spray ...
I'm going to close everything up...dump a bottle of rislone in now that I relieved some oil level into my bay from the rogue shooters...
Frustrating...

I know new lifters on an old questionable cam isn't good but, these jokers are driving me crazy....can't be healthy for motor..?new lifters would just get screwed up again if I don't prove this dirtiness can go away...
Will see how this full turn handles the start up tapping.. would be nice to at least keep it to a couple of seconds at startup if nothing else.....
Kinda wish I had never messed with them but, the truck has run and sounded better since so the new tapping at startup will have to be tolerated for now.

chirping still there but seems to have moved from 2 to 4...still around 6....
Hard to tell but I'm not convinced the rocker rods aren't rubbing.... They all had shiny areas where they go through head when I cleaned them last month.....idk....hard to see but clearances are incredibly close afaik....i need to get a stethoscope...hose isn't focused enough...
Now you're whipping a dead horse. The lifters are screwed. All the adjusting and pouring snake oil into it is not going to do you any good. It's either put new lifters in and maybe it will hurt the cam or run it as is and know it's going to wipe it out.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
img20240311145016-jpg.369557

MAYBE the very bottom rocker is self-aligning. I can't tell for sure. the rest of the rockers that the valve-tip end is showing, look like regular, non-self-aligning rockers...which is what you'd want with guided pushrods.

IF there's air entrained in the oil, the lifters will never be quiet. The question is "how is the air getting into the oil?"

Might want to verify that there's enough oil in the oil pan. Beyond that, I have no idea.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MAYBE the very bottom rocker is self-aligning. I can't tell for sure
is his clearer? they are all the same....

self aligning means some kind of guides on rocker end opposite the rod?..nothing like that on these iirc...
going to go check stuff out....just got stethoscope....

Attachments

• IMG20240311145024b.jpg
    IMG20240311145024b.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 4