1993 Suburban speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckyB

Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any replacment speakers that are built like the OEM ones. On my rears the tweeters are faceing more tward the frount I'm assuming because there is nothing back there to bounce the highs off of. The originals have all the fome rotted off the cones. Thank you all in advance

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OEM speakers are terrible. Even $20 Wal-Mart Sony speakers will have better sound quality than the factory ones.

The rears may have tweeters, but in reality, they are just basic coaxial speakers with a paper cone in the center to direct some of the highs a bit. There is no separate tweeter up front, and likely isn't in the rears, although I could be mistaken, all the Suburbans I've seen from this vintage in the junkyards have speakers like this:

You must be registered for see images

What you would want (I'd imagine) are aftermarket speakers with directional (moveable) tweeters. Some companies make some where you can adjust where the tweeter rotates, thus changing the direction the high frequencies play. I've always found it to be a bit unnecessary, but they are out there. Browse www.crutchfield.com for some, then shop on eBay or Amazon for a better price on them.

Any 2way or 3-way speaker will sound worlds better than the stock ones. I have a stock Delco radio with cassette w/ Graphic Equalizer built in, and have Boston Acoustic speakers in the truck. They sound fantastic through the stock system.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
Not sure about the 93's but in my 95, the rear speakers did have a separate speaker. A 2-way design with the center tweeter angled towards the front of the truck.
The rear open can accept a 5 1/4" speaker which are cheaper than the stock 4x10's. With minor cutting you can put a 6x9 speaker which would sound a lot better than the stock 4x10.
The 93 may be a little different than the 95.

ChuckyB

Reaction score
ya, that is just how mine are set up. I was wondering how much of a differance that tilt added, if it didn't make a differance then GM wouldn;t have spent the extra nickel for them . =) I was just wondering what others had replaced them with. IE just a 4x10, 6x9, or pulled a set out of a Yucon, ECT. Thanks for the replies.

ChuckyB

Reaction score
Well, I have looked quite a bit over the net for something that had the same setup as what I had, but to no avail. Do the newer Suburbans (and the like) have the same set up ?