1993 K2500 7.4L TBI not getting warm.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put my second 195F thermostat it today. Last one was a bit over a year ago. I only get 165F or so according to the gauge when it's colder and I'm not working it. And I don't get much heat from the HVAC. I run cardboard in the radiator and I can build some heat in both the engine and cab. But then overheat it pretty easy if I'm not careful. Is this just a way of life with this big radiator and stock fan set up or what?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put my second 195F thermostat it today. Last one was a bit over a year ago.
Did you buy the CORRECT thermostat?

I only get 165F or so according to the gauge when it's colder and I'm not working it.
Is "the gauge" accurate?

Is this just a way of life with this big radiator and stock fan set up or what?
NO.

You still have something wrong, you just haven't found it yet.

Does the fan disengage when cool? Does the engine run properly?

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you buy the CORRECT thermostat?

Is "the gauge" accurate?

NO.

You still have something wrong, you just haven't found it yet.

Does the fan disengage when cool? Does the engine run properly?

Yes, it's the correct one. I assume it's off somewhat like they all are but I can hold my hand on the upper radiator hose/radiator or valve covers for pretty much as long as I want when the gauge is showing 165F. I know you can't do that at 195F. I guess I've never really known what to expect for behavior from a viscous fan in cold temp. How much is it supposed to be turning at cold temp and high idle? I've had them go bad on me before in years past where they lock up completely. I know that's not the case. It spins freely when the engine is off and doesn't make a bunch of fan noise if any reving it up or going down the road. Engine runs like a champ.