1993 GMC C1500 Cruiser Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93obs

Reaction score
Wasn't planning on posting this but I wanted a way to document my first build. I've never done a LS swap before but knew I wanted to do one, and on this truck. I will be just simply getting an engine and transmission, throwing it in to see if it will run as is. My main goal is to just have the truck running again and build on her visually as I go along.

History

Got the truck after my father passed away, it was originally my grandfather's truck. The truck was bought from a family friend after it went completely under water during hurricane katrina. My Grandfather restored the truck(he was a mechanic/body man by trade) and drove it as his daily for years. However, the wiring on the truck was kinda jerry-rigged which i remember him saying he didn't understand any of the new stuff as he mostly dealt with antique vehicles. After my grandfather passed the truck sat for a good 7-8 years until now. Surprisingly, the truck fired right up with a fresh battery and I drove it about 40 miles home with a transmission that I felt was a little to close to death.

Specs

SBC 350 TBI 4 speed auto

10 bolt differential with 4.10 gearing

2wd

Plan

Build is for pure fun and educational purposes as this is my first build ever

Truck will never see a track.

6.0 gen III LS engine

4l80e transmission

Stall Converter

Holley EFI system

Ford 8.8 rear axle assembly or detroit truetrac for the 10 bolt

Walbro fuel pump

Cheap single turbo ~6 psi

No A/C for now

Need to Address

Brake light switch

Need to figure out what to gut on original harness and what to keep to retain interior controls etc. with the holley system

5-6-19 - 5-12-19

Picked up a 6.0 I found locally for less that $1000 last week. Walbro 455, -8 feed -6 return line, AN fittings, Fuel press regulator, SBC mounts, and a fuel sending unit to AN fitting arrived.

Trying to decide on fuel rails (ebay or good quality).

Since I have access to pipe for fabrication through a welder buddy willing to help me I will be using the stock manifold spun around to pipe my turbo up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Got her stripped down so I could clean her up a bit. Added my dirty dingo motor mounts.

Will be replacing most gaskets and remove a few broken exhaust bolts with welder.

Been rained out for a while except for today so I got a chance to jerk out the engine and clean up some of the frame and engine bay. Just from sitting there were leaves and junk in places i didn't think was possible.

Going to be lifting the bed soon(I hope) to plumb my new fuel system. Doing as much research as I can beforehand and hoping the walbro will be an easy install in the TBI sending unit. Will also be removing the rest of old exhaust system.

Still looking for a 4l80e transmission locally to purchase.

This is how the truck sits now.

Last edited:

93obs

Reaction score
5-13-19 - 5-19-19

Purchased a 4l80e today from a local junkyard which, I was quite surprised to find they usually go super fast.

On another note I have a "411" available to me for my project so, I'm thinking about ditching the Holley EFI idea and getting a standalone harness as I have hp tuners pro. I always like to save money too.

Also will be getting a torque converter spec'd to my build sometime this week.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6.0 gen III LS engine
4l80e transmission
Stall Converter
Ford 8.8 rear axle assembly or detroit truetrac for the 10 bolt
Cheap single turbo ~6 psi
Trying to decide on fuel rails (ebay or good quality)

If you don't mind I'd like to offer up some advice.

I've had several Turbo LS setups so it all comes from experience.

If you start with the engine and leaving stock cam in there Atleast get some new LS6 valve springs since the original ones have some miles on them.

Don't go cheap on the 4L80E stall. Quality ones cost a little more but the results are worth it.

The 8.5" is fine if you put a good Unit in it.
I've put over 400,000 miles on a couple Eaton LSD's combined. Good stuff. Trutracs are good too.

Don't go cheap turbo please. Borg Warners are hard to beat. I've had several S475/83's and towed alot with one on a 6.0.

Factory fuel rails are plenty for anything your going to do with a stock engine unless your just trying to dress it up some.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

93obs

Reaction score
If you don't mind I'd like to offer up some advice.

I've had several Turbo LS setups so it all comes from experience.

If you start with the engine and leaving stock cam in there Atleast get some new LS6 valve springs since the original ones have some miles on them.

Don't go cheap on the 4L80E stall. Quality ones cost a little more but the results are worth it.

The 8.5" is fine if you put a good Unit in it.
I've put over 400,000 miles on a couple Eaton LSD's combined. Good stuff. Trutracs are good too.

Don't go cheap turbo please. Borg Warners are hard to beat. I've had several S475/83's and towed alot with one on a 6.0.

Factory fuel rails are plenty for anything your going to do with a stock engine unless your just trying to dress it up some.

Man I greatly appreciate the advice!

I was thinking maybe PAC 1218s, I've used them before and they work great from my experience. I will look at the LS6 springs, I'm all about saving money where I can. I do plan on putting a mild street cam later, still researching on who I want to go with.

I'm looking at getting a custom PTC stall converter. I see nothing but good reviews for similar builds.

Hmm maybe I'm not giving the 8.5" the credit she deserves. Noted

My turbo choice came down to a billet 80mm from vs racing which I THINK is a s480 clone?

I'm wanting to run Siemens Deka 80lb injectors which I though fitment might be an issue but, I did find fuel rail spacers on amazon that seemed like it would allow me to run the stock rails with the dekas. From what I've read on various forums there are several ways to run a FPR on a fuel system. I've attached a rough estimate of what I think I would need to run my stock rails. In my mind, running my FPR at the end of my feed line after the rails seems like what I would really want so running my stock rails doesn't seem like its possible.

Fuel rail Spacers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CZ0EQX4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1TNMI4LHV0ZX&psc=1

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man I greatly appreciate the advice!

I was thinking maybe PAC 1218s, I've used them before and they work great from my experience. I will look at the LS6 springs, I'm all about saving money where I can. I do plan on putting a mild street cam later, still researching on who I want to go with.

I'm looking at getting a custom PTC stall converter. I see nothing but good reviews for similar builds.

Hmm maybe I'm not giving the 8.5" the credit she deserves. Noted

My turbo choice came down to a billet 80mm from vs racing which I THINK is a s480 clone?

I'm wanting to run Siemens Deka 80lb injectors which I though fitment might be an issue but, I did find fuel rail spacers on amazon that seemed like it would allow me to run the stock rails with the dekas. From what I've read on various forums there are several ways to run a FPR on a fuel system. I've attached a rough estimate of what I think I would need to run my stock rails. In my mind, running my FPR at the end of my feed line after the rails seems like what I would really want so running my stock rails doesn't seem like its possible.

Fuel rail Spacers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CZ0EQX4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1TNMI4LHV0ZX&psc=1

The 1218s are good stuff. If they will work with your future cam then all the better.

I had several issues with 7 PTC stalls in a row for a 4l60e. Then they charged me a restocking fee after the last one I sent in to be freshened up wouldn't hold lockup. Wrote them off after that. But hopefully they are better to you.. just saying.

8.5 with a good unit, caltracs and good shocks will last forever with just 6psi boost.

What intake are you plannin on running?
Stock truck intake and these work well together. Plus 99-03 truck intakes have FPR built into the rail.

https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/products/72-lb-delphi-drop-in-for-gm-trucks-1999-2007

Yea VS has some decent stuff. We been burnt a bunch on cheap Chinese turbos with bearing failures and oil seals leaking. Once I used a few Borg Warners I was hooked. They never let us down.

Got a project right now I'm doing for a guy in a 2005 silverado with Heads / cam / 5.3 / BW S475 / 4L80E / Circle D 3800 billet triple disk / 8.6" with trutrac , caltracs, and QA1s. Hoping to get it into the low 10s for his daily driver.